M14 Forum banner

Inherited M1A HELP

6460 27
Hello,
My pap had passed away in 2015. He was a marine sergeant and the corp was his life. He was a war veteran in Iwo Jima and was awarded many medals during his service including a purple heart. Unfortuanetly even though he was so fond of this part of his life he would never talk about it or explain much of anything.

When he passed I was left all of his things and I knew of the m1A but I have no clue what I have as far as quality and identifying anything about it. Anyone able to help me it would be greatly appreciated!

Here are a few pictures of what I have in front of me. There is numerous additional accessories and parts to this gun. I will try and post the rest when I can.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3,478 Posts
Sell everything.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
My great uncle was the only family member alive that I could talk to about WWII, very little said about his service also.
Stories of a few places and about friends and what they did to pass time.
I know he built a Fox Hole radio from scavanged parts from blown up tanks, he was found of the M1 and 1911. He always told me to learn how to shoot and pray you never have to.
He never would go to the range and did not even really want to see any guns.

One thing he did talk about was politics and the politics of war and pretty much nailed what’s going on in the world today 20+ years ago.

Looks like gramps was buying stuff in his later years to enjoy the commerative garand is not all that old either, well feels like yesterday when they where around for sale.
Take time to cherish the items.

In the future don’t talk about doing things with parents and grand parents take the point to plan the day. Go out for breakfast or dinner and work in a range trip.
My great uncle refused to go.

· Registered
4,377 Posts
post #18, 1st photo is part of cleaning kit, 2nd (as XXIVcorps pointed out) boxes of Spanish surplus ammo, 3rd full metal jacket loaded ammo, 4th is a Wyoming skinning knife. XUSNORDIE wasn't calling you a liar but was confused about your knowledge of the two different rifles. Your dad seems to have collected a fine assortment of tools to take care of these rifles. No, I would not sell them either but keep them, learn all you can about them, shoot them just like you and your dad planned on doing together. As you said, these were important to him and you can honor him by taking care of them now. Go on utube, look for M14/M1A maintenance, TonyBen's video's will take you thru how to care for the M1A Then check out Garandguy for the M1. From your post's you have a long row to hoe in the knowledge you are looking for. Do not become discouraged. Hang in there and learn it all. Your dad expects you too.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I will post more pics of them when I get back over to them. I have about a 15' x 20' area taken up in my garage stacked anywhere from 4-6 foot high. That's where I went the following day to look. I ran out of room in the garage with my stuff in there as well so i put all the shells and ammo are at my dad's finished basement so it is in a safe place without moisture. Didn't want to out anything in the shed and get moisture to mold, corrode, or rust.

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,969 Posts
New2M1A814,

I would like to know what the headstamp is on the old military surplus ammunition from Spain. Thanks

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Great thanks for all your help! I found some great stuff today that I remember seeing but amongst not having time to go thru it or not feeling like it wasn't mine and wasn't right. But 3 years later it hasn't moved. Now I'm more comfortable with knowing that he would want me to do this.

Tons of the old Kodiak projector pictures the like inch and a half by inch and a half photos. Then came across the projector for it and another one too. I remember seeing it but heck it looked like a regular projector from school we used and didn't even know these existed.

Found an album with pics of all over Vietnam, books and papers from when he joined and it was training books, to the teachers for new soldiers from when he became a SSGT. Newspaper clippings about him and my grandmother. The USS Proteus transfering a missle to the USS Patrick Henry (SSBN-599) papers of all the radio frequencys used, maps, his mission or order papers he had to carry out, presidential unit citation paper and purple heart with a description of what happened and how he stepped up to get a launcher when they were pinned down by an enemy sniper and ended up getting wounded doing it but took out the sniper. pretty amazing things i wont be able to ask him about.

So I have not made much progress other then came across I butterfly knife and 3 other almost type of training tactical ones or maybe a bayonet or marital arts type ones. I'm thinking I need to try and find a Vietnam type forum rather then this now so I don't get in trouble or booted.

One more thing can anyone tell me more info on these. The butterfly knife I can't find who makes or or even a pic of one that is the same. The other 3 I can't find at all unless these were redone or handle is off them and replaced with what it has now. They are about 10 inches long and maybe 1/8" thick the entire thing. But have a stamp with Japan on it.

Also no I'm not selling it all. If I sell anything it will be the empty box's from some of the stuff I decide to put up or make something like a memorabilia type deal. Either way it will be just the boxes haha

Thank you all again I really appreciate the help! Knife Cutting tool
Knife Cutting tool
Knife Cutting tool

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.