M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
It was -2 f this morning and it gets a LOT colder up here on a regular basis. I routinely shoot at temps well below -20 with all sorts of firearms including a Ruger 10/22, my M1A and my Garand and the best stuff I've found is called LAW( lubricant, arctic weather) The cans I have now are made by Castrol special lubricants division. My bolt gun loves it too. Hunting coyotes for pelts is quite the experience in winter. I bought the case I have now at a surplus store and it should last me and my son a lifetime. I have no idea where to find more.

· Registered
1,032 Posts
It was -2 f this morning and it gets a LOT colder up here on a regular basis. I routinely shoot at temps well below -20 with all sorts of firearms including a Ruger 10/22, my M1A and my Garand and the best stuff I've found is called LAW( lubricant, arctic weather) The cans I have now are made by Castrol special lubricants division. My bolt gun loves it too. Hunting coyotes for pelts is quite the experience in winter. I bought the case I have now at a surplus store and it should last me and my son a lifetime. I have no idea where to find more.
That's the very same stuff that I mentioned in my reply, a few back. The can I have was made by
Bray Oil Company. Still looks and smells like automatic Transmission fluid.

· Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
It was -2 f this morning and it gets a LOT colder up here on a regular basis.
==============================================================================================
Which is why Wyoming is a State of High Altitudes and Low Multitudes...

GI6

Cavman in Wyoming(On another balmy December day...)

· Retired
5,985 Posts
In some sense if you are going to get into a gun fight at -20 degrees like an artic climate, I've now come to the conclusion its best to retreat to a warmer climate for the winter, let the bad guys freeze during the winter and then take the area when it warms up.

USAF2
Air Force veteran...hrrruummphh. Well, us Army vets can take the cold!!! Actually, on my daughter's birthday last Feb. 4th, here in Wisconsin, the temp was colder than -20 F, and it was about all we could do to get from the car in the parking lot of the restaurant to the door. I don't need to say that the restaurant was not real busy that night. I don't care for that kind of cold, and my tour of duty in Korea reinforced that thinking.
The proper lube in that kind of weather is no grease, but a synthetic oil that doesn't thicken or get gummy in cold. One post mentioned Ed's Red, and that formula calls for synthetic transmission fluid, which is really just a highly refined synthetic oil with detergents, etc. Break-free CLP is made from a synthetic oil as its base, in addition to cleaning agents and liquid teflon for lubrication, so a very light coat should be fine for arctic conditiions.

· Retired
5,985 Posts
It was -2 f this morning and it gets a LOT colder up here on a regular basis.
==============================================================================================
Which is why Wyoming is a State of High Altitudes and Low Multitudes...

GI6

Cavman in Wyoming(On another balmy December day...)
That must be why there are more cows than people in Wyoming and in some high places, the weather is 11 months of winter... and one month mighty late in the Fall.DI5

· Registered
2,121 Posts
Its all about lubes. My uncle was at the Chosen. He told me they had to degrease the weapons to make them work. In the artic we used very light weight lubes in our POV's to help the engines/trans and rears spin in the very cold temps. While stationed in ND we would have numerous security situations on the missle sites when it became really cold because the metal would shrink on the launch site doors causing alarms. We used to have KC135's from Castle AFB rotate into Minot ND from Ca. When we got them in the winter they used to leak really bad as the seals would contract until they got used to the cold. In AK we used to hanger our F16's to help keep them working. My old 83 Bronco had two block heaters, an oil pan heater, a trans heater, a battery heater and a interior heater just to allow her to crank in the real cold. If she didn't start in the first few cranks she wouldn't start at all. Once the breaker popped after I plugged her in one night and she froze up solid. I had to have her towed to a heated garage for 24 hours before we could start her again. Once again I say give ground in the winter, regroup to the windward islands for the winter and attack in the summer. I still have sensitive eyebrows from frostbite damage gained from not from defending our nation but lake trout ice fishing.

Cheers

USAF2

· Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
"That must be why there are more cows than people in Wyoming and in some high places, the weather is 11 months of winter... and one month mighty late in the Fall."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hrrruummphh yourself, Old Sarge...

GI6

Yes, all that may be true, but what's your point?

In a lot of ways, Cows are nicer than a lot of people!
They don't lie, cheat, or steal...and they taste might good!

GI6

Cavman in Wyoming

· Registered
541 Posts
We usually get a month or so of summer up here in late july or august. Guys, I raced biathlon when I was a kid with an Anschutes Fortner rifle, I served as the 2/75 arctic survival training and cold weather indoctrination instructor @ Fort Wainwright, hunted in the cold for nearly 40 years and I've not yet found anything as reliable as the stuff mentioned earlier. Maybe a product test this january would be in order. Any other volunteers?

· Registered
47 Posts
cold weather lube

I too, am from Wyoming... and have found that my Polytech M14s runs well with a little Mobil 1 synthetic grease in place of mil-spec grease.. have been out at -20 a couple of times coyote calling, and noo-problems.. Caveman, and Biathalon, where do you guys call home? I'm 'bout 10 miles north of Pig's Hiney,, er...Big Piney. (The Icebox of the Nation).. Les

· Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
I too, am from Wyoming...
.. Caveman, and Biathalon, where do you guys call home? I'm 'bout 10 miles north of Pig's Hiney,, er...Big Piney. (The Icebox of the Nation).. Les
Les:
Biathalon is in Laramie...
I am in Casper...
We have somebody?(Sorry, Senior Moment here)in Hanna...
Anybody Else?

Cavman in Wyoming

· Registered
500 Posts
So what's it like in summer there?

· Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
"So what's it like in summer there?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know...I was out of state that weekend !!!

GI8

Seriously...Wyoming, IMHO, has The Best Summers in the U.S....
Not too hot, long days, clean air, no crowds, open spaces... GI6
Essentially No Big Natural Disasters...No Hurricanes, Few Big Fires, Few Tornadoes...No Tsunamis!

The Only Problem is...We Ocassionally Get Some Fairly Stiff
Breezes...

And Winter...which is kind of 'relative' depending upon Location(relationship to the nearest Mountain Range) and Elevation...can be kind of long and depressing unless you make an effort to get out and Enjoy the Winter when the Weather permits...

But our Springs and Falls...can truly be Wonderful...but Winter is always Lurking Out There...
The Same Camping/Hiking Spot that is Wonderful about 8 Months of The Year...Can be a Deathtrap when Winter Snows Hit!

Cavman in Wyoming

· Registered
500 Posts
I don't know...I was out of state that weekend !!!
Thanks for the reply. I'll be cleaning the coffee out of my keyboard now for the next hour! LOL!GI1

· Registered
169 Posts
I used to live in Torrington / Casper / Chugwater then I joined the Navy to see the world is the state tree still the telephone pole...lol

.. Caveman, and Biathalon, where do you guys call home? I'm 'bout 10 miles north of Pig's Hiney,, er...Big Piney. (The Icebox of the Nation).. Les
Les:
I am in Casper...
Anybody Else?

Cavman in Wyoming

· Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
I used to live in Torrington...Chugwater then I joined the Navy to see the world is the state tree still the telephone pole...lol
Boy Howdy...I can tell you live down there in the SE Corner!

It's like a guy driving I-80 From Nebraska to Utah...
It's easy to get just One View of Wyoming!
The Great American Desert!(per John C. Fremont)
But go up to the NE or NW Corner...go to the Bighorns...go to Saratoga/Encampment...Plenty of Trees!!!

Wyoming is a whole bunch of separate little Eco-Systems...depending on relation to the Mountains...and Elevation!

Our Cabin in the Big Horns is at 8,000 + feet!

Cavman in Wyoming

· Registered
169 Posts
It's like a guy driving I-80 From Nebraska to Utah...
I know what you mean I have an uncle who has a ranch in Lander and I used to go fishing every summer in the Wind River Range I guess that would be your back yard. I keep trying to talk my wife into moving there but she's not biting so far one of these days it'll sink in and we'll do it...

· Registered
73 Posts
I too called Wyoming home, Meeteetse to be specific. I have worked all over the state mostly around big piney/labarge. The winters can be harsh especially if you work and play outdoors as I do, but you can dress for the cold. I just moved to southern MT basically the same climate. I wouldn't trade a cold winter for all the bugs, hurricanes, tornadoes, humidity, heat, etc, that many other parts of this country have to deal with daily. but I'm probably biasedDI2

· Retired
5,985 Posts
Les:
I am in Casper...
Anybody Else?

Cavman in Wyoming
I deer hunt in the Big Horns just west of Kaycee on the Red Fork of the Powder River. Beautiful country!!!GI1
M4s4ever is from Casper too.

· Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
I deer hunt in the Big Horns just west of Kaycee on the Red Fork of the Powder River. Beautiful country!!!
Ah!

Do you ever see the ghosts of Butch and Sundance?

That's "The Hole In The Wall Country"...

Our cabin is up at the head of the North Fork of The Powder on Dull Knife Reservoir...

Darn it! Now you have really got me thinking about SPRING!!!

GI6

Cavman in Wyoming

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.