M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have 3 Mausers now a 44 BCD a 42 BYF(gi take back) and a Yugo M-48.

I want to get to shooting the Yugo, (its dam cheap) but im not sure what to go after and i assume both the romanian and Yugo is corrosive correct?

The Yugo have a near perfect bore on it (nice and Shiny), and i will never put a rounhd of corrosive through the German Mausers, but i would if it was NC of course)

I do have a M91/30 Nagant that i think is 7.62x54R (some weird caliber like that), but that would be corrosive as well?

Im trying to figure out what ammo to use, weather to buy the expensive Prvi non-corosive or if the corrosive surplus would be fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yup both 8mm are corrosive. Also the 54r is too. Personally shooting corrosive is not an issue if you clean the gun after. Its cheap and sometimes pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Yugo and Romanian both work fine, but are corrosive as stated. Romanian is steel cased from all my experience, and has a nice sweet smell when fired. Older Yugo has deeper set primers, but should be fine in bolt guns. Just clean 'em up good after use and you'll be fine...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yugo 8mm is heavy ball and Romanian 8mm is light ball. Yugo ammo from the 1970's (1975 -1976 and newer) seems alright. Older Yugo 8mm, mostly from the 1950's but anything before 1975 leaks badly around the primers and seriously erodes the bolt face, firing pin and firing pin hole. Use only Yugo 8mm newer than 1975. The Romanian 8mm seems pretty good.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yugo 8mm is heavy ball and Romanian 8mm is light ball. Yugo ammo from the 1970's (1975 -1976 and newer) seems alright. Older Yugo 8mm, mostly from the 1950's but anything before 1975 leaks badly around the primers and seriously erodes the bolt face, firing pin and firing pin hole. Use only Yugo 8mm newer than 1975. The Romanian 8mm seems pretty good.
SO the 50's Yugo is also not worthy, good to know i almost bought a whole case of itGI8

I think i'll pick up a case or two of the Romanian, do you know if the fact it is steel cased will effect the bore at all?

Where do you get your 8mm if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Steel cases won't affect your weapon.

Romanian is reliable safe ammo but is very dirty and leaves a hard carbon deposit in the bore. I have run a great deal of it in my Maxim and Mg34. The maxim loves it but the Mg34 is so muddy after 1000 rds or so that I have to break it down and clean it.

'50's Yugo is spotty at best. Some lots are OK but personally I avoid it. The 70's Yugo is excellent ammo.

Get some WWII USGI bore cleaner at the next gunshow you attend. Best thing there is for reliably cleaning corrosive residue.

Right now AIM has Romanian. It's priced at a ridiculous $100 per tin but that's what it is now. I got all my 8mm back when it was cheap and plentiful. After it's gone, I'm reloading!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I bought some of that Yugo ammo as well some years ago for my M48. Big mistake for me, wont do it again. The ammo was made so cheaply that you pull the projectiles out of the cases by hand with little effort. Some of the projectiles actually came off the cases due to recoil.

Not sure what material the projectile were made out of, but it seemed harder than my barrel, or the rifle had really soft steel for a barrel. After shooting about 100 rounds my barrel was ruined.

Yup cheap to shoot, but beware.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Haven't had the problems of bullets falling out of the cases, but I do think they are a tad longer than others. Mine are fed mainly in a belt fed 1919, but we had to make sure our barrels were reamed a little longer in the throat area for these to reliably fire without sticking in the rifling. Thankfully I have a good stock of German 8MM I bought several years ago that I use in my K98, M48, and 24/47. I've never tried it (Yugo '50's dated) in these rifles, but now you have me curiousGI8

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im tempted to pick up some yugo, but im dead set on rommy 8mm.

I just wish i had the cash to do it all.

I did do some reading up on the Surplus forums, and it seems that the 98k's and m48's arepicky to one type, unless you replace the firing pin with a better spring, in which case they usually go off.

The issue with the yugo stuff it seems is that they have really hard primers, while the ones without annealed cases ten to have issues.

The rommy is mixed, light duty stuff and is a ligher round as well.

so its a toss up it seems.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
im tempted to pick up some yugo, but im dead set on rommy 8mm.

I just wish i had the cash to do it all.

I did do some reading up on the Surplus forums, and it seems that the 98k's and m48's arepicky to one type, unless you replace the firing pin with a better spring, in which case they usually go off.

The issue with the yugo stuff it seems is that they have really hard primers, while the ones without annealed cases ten to have issues.

The rommy is mixed, light duty stuff and is a ligher round as well.

so its a toss up it seems.
My experience is that the Yugo primers are set deeper. You can actually feel the difference in depths from Yugo to Romy, or any other for that matter. The only reason I stocked up on it is a few years back C.I.A. had a special on it. Get this - $45.00/900 rounds, and over $500.00 got you free shipping. A three man group buy got us a few pallet load of very cheap ammo for our 1919's. I DO like the Romy better, but that was like $67.00 for 740 rounds I think - and it ran out fast at the wholesalers. It sure is a different ball game now price wise!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
try 233 bucks per 900 rounds (SOG)(50's Yugo)

or 198 for 640rounds (AIM) (70 Rommy)

sdtill beats the 450 bucks per 1,000 for DAG!

Oh and Ammoman is now selling 94 year vintage of DAG.

Now if someone could loan me the money so i can trade futures for real and not for simulation then maybe i'll have enough to buy all the ammo i want.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I recently picked up 1K DAG for $389.00 plus $30.00 shipping. Think it was SGAmmo? I'll check later...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone else have ideas for 8mm?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts