M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just wondering, is the receiver stamped or milled? And what about mags?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This receiver is "stamped" ...

The mag you see is one of them cheapo aftermarkets that does work however my friend the LRRP advised that the USGI mags can very easily be made to fit here ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
485 Posts
If the stamped receiver will hold up to a .308's power over a long time, it sounds like a good deal. And with US mags, that sounds good.

How accurate is it compared to other AKs in 7.62x39? I'd hate to have a .308 with minute of tractor tire accuracy. :?

·
Registered
609 Posts
SixT,

That’s a great looking rifle. There has been one floating around a few of the local shows up here that isn’t in that great a condition. I keep thinking I need to pick it up as it also isn’t too expensive. I’ve learned a bit about them and it seems that the Yugoslavian rifles are top shelf products.

If you have an opportunity could you maybe get a couple close ups of the markings on the receiver for me. The rifle here has a model number scratched out and M-90 carved into it, it looks like Bubba did it all with a dull screwdriver.

Thanks for sharing the pics, I’d love to see any more you can get.

Best regards, T

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
The Yugoslavs were importing these things back in the late 80's, before they decided to become that dual-personality thing. They were apparently based on their interpretation of the RPK/Drugonov. Originally in 7.62x54R, it didn't take much to chamber them on 7.62x51. Most I've seen were Class 3, and used the RPK bipod. The magazines were modified from the x54R mags, and held 20 rounds. A dealer came to a Class 3 shoot with 2, and let all of us havbe a chance to check it out. By the way, the butt-stock on these weapons is, to me, not a comfort item. Adding full-auto turned it into an instrument of midevil torture. :D

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
TB
The rifle here has a model number scratched out and M-90 carved into it, it looks like Bubba did it all with a dull screwdriver.
The reason for the scratched in M90 is because these rifle were caught in customs at the time of the 89 or 94 ban and allowed out as the M90 The original model was somthing like the M77 or M78. Mine came with a certificate from the ATF. I have since lost it or misplaced it but I hope I wont ever need it.

TB
Steve K,

What do you think of your Yugoslavian AK?
I havnt shot it in a long time but it was basicaly like shooting an RPK with beefier furniture.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Do you know if all the rifles that were caught in customs are carved up like that?

I really like that rifle, but don’t need to start another 308 magazine collection, especially with those mags, the rifle would be a lot of fun to have. I’m just really bothered by that custom engraving job.

-T

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
TB .....

Steve k pretty much hit the nail on the head with what Mike advised me on the markings ....

Thye were done by the importers and this one is done that way as well.

Not done in a very professional manner ...

Six

·
Registered
609 Posts
Like I said, Bubba and his screwdriver.

That’s the same way the M90 up here is marked.

So, could you send it to someone like John Norrell, have the Bubba welded over, M90 neatly engraved and the whole rifle refinished.

SixT, is that rifle for sale?

Thanks for the pics.

Chris

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
TB why would you want to reingrave it. It would just add extra cost to the rifle that you would never get back if you decied to sell it. I had a talk with Marc Krebs at Krebs Custom guns, about some of the AK kits he did for me and having the recievers remarked to assimilate the real marking on the original rifles. He said yes he could do it but it would be costly. I also have a Mac 90 with the same scrible before the butthole stocks were put on. I kind of like it because in 20 years when people look at it, it is part of history and shows the transition from pre to post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.