Votes: 38 27.3%
  • Real Tree Camo Synthetic

Votes: 12 8.6%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have three choices for a scout, walnut, black or the camo realtree, your choice and why?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm old school. Dress it up with a matching walnut upper, too.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Wood is my choice because that what came on it when I bought it 20 years ago.

·
Registered
333 Posts
synthetic - scout's a newer version and my opinion looks best with a simple, useful, durable, evil black stock to match the modernized versatile short barreled nature of the rifle

on this board I foresee wood by a landslide

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Take Stock

I really hate to say this....But, I have always been a Walnut guy...Leg man too !! DI5

Anyway,....My favorite stock of all time is none of the above....A W-W Big Red in Birch is the only way to go for me now, for accuracy and heft that relieves some felt recoil.

Also the buttstock filled with lead dowels helps my old shoulder.

Once bedded, they are hard to beat and when refinished with Candyman's three step stain process and having tiger stripe running all through them, they are the most beautiful there is.

The wood takes on the reddish hue of the yesteryear 1903 A3's .M1 Carbines and M1 Garands, and is breathtaking.....Done properly of course, I have seen many ruined.

I just finished one for Geeck that came from CMP, unissued in the VCI bag, and it sports 23 Tiger Stripes down the full length of the right side, a real piece of work and history. Left side is also striped with interruption from forestock to buttstock, then resumes striping at the butt....just beautiful.

Yes, I tried every way in the world to get it from him, even called him last night and told him I ruined it and wanted to know what I could pay or how to replace it for him....DI5 No Dice, he is a tuff cooky......Saw right through it.....LOL....

·
Registered
966 Posts
I would go with black synthetic, as I like the looks of it, and like the weather resistance of synthetic materials. I live in an area that is either wet, wet and cold, or just cold.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Black synthetic. It's subdued, and I want it to carry in the back country on an ATV through mud, rain, snow, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wood for me. Walnut just makes the rifle look sinister and they become a part of you as the oils from your hands work the wood over the years. Besides, fiberglass is just plastic on steroids. dance2

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
G.I. fiberglass stock that has been bedded for the receiver, trigger mech and bedded up front for stabilizing the forearm. Weighs a little more than wood, but it is darn near indestructable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stock choice

I have both a black synthetic and a walnut on my M-1A's, however the black one is now painted. If I had a choice when I bought the Loaded model it would have had a GI woodland fiberglass instead of the synthetic stock. The standard with the wood stock with 20 coats of tung oil is a looker.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The plastic SAI stocks aren't to my liking. They are too flexible. Walnut all the way.

If you must have a synthetic stock for some reason, throw out the SAI stock and get a USGI fiberglass.

I have a USGI birch that I restained and sealed on my SOCOM. Just beautiful, and I have a Boyds walnut that I just put on my Loaded with a walnut handguard.

I keep a USGI synthetic around the house in case one of them needs to put on work clothes and come into the woods with me.. otherwise they wear the wood, because my girls have class.

·
Registered
558 Posts
For looks and beauty nothing beats wood, any nice piece of wood, IMHO. For practical purposes like match shooting, nothing beats a composite stock such as a McMillan M1A stock, or one of the other composites for practical shooting; combat, tactical matches, hunting, whatever...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I have and use synthetic stocks but walnut is my favorite. Just doesn't seem like a '14 if it's sitting in anything else.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Because there is just something about wood and steel, blued or park'd that makes me happy. GI6

·
Registered
623 Posts
G.I. fiberglass stock that has been bedded for the receiver, trigger mech and bedded up front for stabilizing the forearm. Weighs a little more than wood, but it is darn near indestructable.
That might help me like a synthetic better.I might have to look into that after taxes next year.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I voted walnut..........
had a GI synthetic painted black and it got too hot in the sun. I don't care for the look of the Real Tree camo.

I got two rifles and have GI wood and GI painted synthetic for each rifle.. GI2

·
Registered
389 Posts
i voted wood....its lighter, and stronger...ive had 2 SAI synthetic stocks crack right next to the receiver and at the muzzle end also...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Although I love the look of wood, I love the performance of synthetic stocks. You are building a combat rifle, so make it as tough as you can.
Doc
MC1EXPRT1

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Only G.I. stocks for me, wood or fiberglass. I am a traditionalist when it comes to the M1-A / M-14's. I dont care for the modern stock systems Some of them make the rifle look like an AR-10GI4

1 - 20 of 41 Posts