M14 Forum banner

You would:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An interesting question. You are the owner of a '90's or earlier SAI M1A. Your rifle has all USGI parts, is evenly parked, un-marred with pristine chrome-lined USGI barrel (not a Devine marked barrel). You want to try a different barrel length but only want/need/can afford ONE M1A. You should:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Do what you want. You can always put a 22" barrel back on. No way I'd give up my all USGI M1A. It's been with me too long.

Once I wear out my SS medium weight barrel, I may do the same thing.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not in this position but I do understand that there are finite number of excellent condition all USGI SAI M1A's. True the rifle is a commercially made reproduction.

I have had M1A's re-barreled and don't have any problem with replacing a worn or marred barrel. However, I would choose to keep such a rifle as described as it came from the factory.

I'm sure that each member will have their own opinion on this subject and I respect that.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
76 Posts
I will leave my 1979 as it is. I have set it into a GI stock so that the original remains safe from dings and scratches when on the range.

If the time comes I want a different style one, like my son's EBR, I'll get another one, but leave this one alone.

This rifle was my deceased father's rifle (as were my garand and carbine) and will be my son's when I expire. Means too much the way it exists today.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
It is a commercial receiver made up with GI parts, take parts off, put parts on, makes no difference. The only way that a 1979 M1A would have any "special value" would be if it was new in the box with all the papers. I have owned 4 digit and 5 digit M1A's, they are nice guns but they did not shoot any better then my Standard that was made in 2012 that I have now.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
You give your Forum buddys the chance to trade for such a nice rifle!!GI2

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
This is the reason many of us have more than 1. Myself, I like them all except the 16'' version, so I plan to have one of each... heavy 22', med. 22', std. 22", and a 18.5'' modified standard weight. Good luck deciding, I gave up trying to pick just one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was in the same boat myself for a couple of years.I really wanted a Socom 16 but A friend sold me a 1999 M1A all G.I. with a pristine TRW barrel at a good price. Learned all about the rifle (mostly from here!)and realized I had a gem.But I still wanted a Socom,I could'nt bring myself to sell the standard, so I saved what I could and sold off a few things and as of a month ago I have both.Just save up a while mercman, you will regret selling that rifle more than you know!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Fortunately, I don't have to limit myself to 1 but I think there are other factors.

Do you know someone who can swap the barrel locally? If not, you will have to buy the barrel, ship, ship back, pay for the swap.
If it is a pristine GI barrel you may or may not break even depending on mfg but it is also a PITA and a lot of time and effort.

Equally, you never can be 100% sure with a trade what you are really getting in return. As I said, glad I don't have to decide.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
It is my long held belief that one should not mess with perfection. When you have a factory rifle that has a USGI bolt headspaced to a new USGI barrel, you don't go making changes that might cause the planets to no longer line up. RNGR2

I would like to have a rifle with the same quality, but with a Criterion 16" chrome lined barrel.

I have another USGI '90s rifle to fall back on, it just isn't as nice (Winnie bolt instead of a TRW) and an early Loaded model with all USGI parts except the NM barrel.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,096 Posts
I say keep the rifle as is and trade it off. Someone would appreciate it as all USGI.
The owner could just modify another less collectible/desirable rifle, maybe an all commercial M1A, and shoot it.
m14brian

1 - 20 of 41 Posts