M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We built a deck/porch surrounding our house and need some type of screening/shade to block sun and flies.
Use to go horse racing with friends and saw stalls with a black mesh hang down to do just that, but they are sold way too big for our needs.
We'd like to find something we can roll up or let down and sized about 5 feet by whatever length, maybe 10, 12 feet.
Anyone have a suggestion?
Here is our porch/deck to give you and idea of what we are dealing with.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You may want to look at the material they use on chainlink fencing for privacy (and it's cheap). It is exceptionally durable. I would them create your own roller shade using pvc tubing and some para-cord. The sun/insect screening we use here in SC is expensive and I don't think would work as well.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may want to look at the material they use on chainlink fencing for privacy (and it's cheap). It is exceptionally durable. I would them create your own roller shade using pvc tubing and some para-cord. The sun/insect screening we use here in SC is expensive and I don't think would work as well.
Who makes this? Where should I look? Building supply, Lowes, etc?
How does it attach? Grommets? Can it be cut to fit? Will the edges unravel after cutting?
Needless to say, anything here outside really takes a beating from Virginia sun.
Thanks again for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but years ago I was hired to do exactly that. But it was requested they be panels. I used 1x3 pine and made frames to fit each section of the porch. Used dowel pins in the corners, glued and screwed,, laid the dark nylon screen material over the frames, stapled them to the 1x3 then secured it with 1 x 3 ripped to 1/4" thick (like lattice) screwed thru to the full thick 1x3. Then I installed 3/4 x 3/4 quarter round as "window" stops in each section of the porch. Each screen panel would fit in and against the stop. I know I used some sort of clips, can't remember off hand exactly, but they would secure each screen panel into place. They were easily removable and when removed stacked nice and flat.. Worked real well and my customer was very very happy. Job was in NY. Pretty much the same weather Va gets.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The real question is budget. Personally if you want to block flies then your best bet would be a fixed system of screen.

Lots of commercial options for retractable insect screen. But the price is going to really be the deciding factor on effectiveness.

Something like this is available from home depot.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if this helps, but years ago I was hired to do exactly that. But it was requested they be panels. I used 1x3 pine and made frames to fit each section of the porch. Used dowel pins in the corners, glued and screwed,, laid the dark nylon screen material over the frames, stapled them to the 1x3 then secured it with 1 x 3 ripped to 1/4" thick (like lattice) screwed thru to the full thick 1x3. Then I installed 3/4 x 3/4 quarter round as "window" stops in each section of the porch. Each screen panel would fit in and against the stop. I know I used some sort of clips, can't remember off hand exactly, but they would secure each screen panel into place. They were easily removable and when removed stacked nice and flat.. Worked real well and my customer was very very happy. Job was in NY. Pretty much the same weather Va gets.
When can you get here and how much gas money do we need to send you?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The real question is budget. Personally if you want to block flies then your best bet would be a fixed system of screen.

Lots of commercial options for retractable insect screen. But the price is going to really be the deciding factor on effectiveness.

Something like this is available from home depot.
We looked at those but as you said: "The real question is budget." It would cost us a million bucks. The flies are not so much concern as the sun, but the stuff we saw at the race tracks did make the stalls a lot more friendly keeping most flies away.

The openings are 48 inches tall, and the width varies from 36 to 48 inches tall, total run is 60 feet each side and 36 feet at the end.

I guess I'm needing some fabric we can cut to fit and roll up and down with rope which is what I did on my carport with USGI camo netting but my wife will not accept camo netting around the house. My buddies think it's cool though.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
We looked at those but as you said: "The real question is budget." It would cost us a million bucks. The flies are not so much concern as the sun, but the stuff we saw at the race tracks did make the stalls a lot more friendly keeping most flies away.

The openings are 48 inches tall, and the width varies from 36 to 48 inches tall, total run is 60 feet each side and 36 feet at the end.

I guess I'm needing some fabric we can cut to fit and roll up and down with rope which is what I did on my carport with USGI camo netting but my wife will not accept camo netting around the house. My buddies think it's cool though.
I'd be concerned with the side edges curling over time.
The woman I did my job for was the dental hygienist at my dentist office. I had to pass her house every time I went to the dentist. Up until he passed, it was 12-13 years that I would pass her house and the screen panels held up great.
Brother, I'd love to take you up, just feed and house me, pay for materials,, always liked Va, beautiful state..... But I'm director of plant ops at a health care facility here and we are due several of our big Federal inspections and can't get away this summer. Hell, looks like I won't even be taking my B-day off next week. 😜😱
ETA, her panels ranged from 2'6" wide to 4" wide and were close to 6" tall. I was actually surprised that the mesh stayed tight all those years. Made 12 of them.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Just a thought, maybe contact a trade school (we have Boces up here) and see if you can talk the teacher into making it a project for his students. Like hairdressing schools and local high school auto mechanics classes, they sometime look for outside projects to do and at very reduced (if any) rates.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be concerned with the side edges curling over time.
The woman I did my job for was the dental hygienist at my dentist office. I had to pass her house every time I went to the dentist. Up until he passed, it was 12-13 years that I would pass her house and the screen panels held up great.
Brother, I'd love to take you up, just feed and house me, pay for materials,, always liked Va, beautiful state..... But I'm director of plant ops at a health care facility here and we are due several of our big Federal inspections and can't get away this summer. Hell, looks like I won't even be taking my B-day off next week. 😜😱
ETA, her panels ranged from 2'6" wide to 4" wide and were close to 6" tall. I was actually surprised that the mesh stayed tight all those years. Made 12 of them.
That is a shame . . . my 100 yard range wanted to meet you too!
Here's a pic of my carport with the remaining camo net on the back side.
The wind got it and blew it all off. I just had it hanging on 3 inch nails driven at 45 degrees.
I gotta figure a better system to secure it before I put it back this time.
Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Hello , maybe swimming pool enclosure screen , I think it is maybe a nylon fabric , used a lot here in central Fl. , for blocking the sun , greenhouse or shade cloth fabric , we have two greenhouse's , I built one of them years ago , this fabric comes in varying degrees of sun blocking, to mount the top I would use the track and what we call wiggle wire that holds the fabric in the track , for the bottom , for roll up purpose , chain link fence top rail , plastic clips will secure the fabric to the top rail , plastic clips will only last a year or so before sunlight makes them brittle, plastic clips wiggle wire and track , and fabric ( I think 10 ft. wide by however long you want ) , we order from a supply house in Apopka Fl. , Imperial Builders Supply , I've done what you're describing several times , with the right materials it's pretty easy , depending on what size's you need I may have some left over fabric , don't remember what percent it is though , if I can help let me know

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Just went to their web site , proper terms might be wire lock , to hold the curtain on top and curtain clip for the roll up or bottom part , they also have the roll up handle, we use these items on our greenhouse's , properly done works well for a 86 ft. curtain

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello , maybe swimming pool enclosure screen , I think it is maybe a nylon fabric , used a lot here in central Fl. , for blocking the sun , greenhouse or shade cloth fabric , we have two greenhouse's , I built one of them years ago , this fabric comes in varying degrees of sun blocking, to mount the top I would use the track and what we call wiggle wire that holds the fabric in the track , for the bottom , for roll up purpose , chain link fence top rail , plastic clips will secure the fabric to the top rail , plastic clips will only last a year or so before sunlight makes them brittle, plastic clips wiggle wire and track , and fabric ( I think 10 ft. wide by however long you want ) , we order from a supply house in Apopka Fl. , Imperial Builders Supply , I've done what you're describing several times , with the right materials it's pretty easy , depending on what size's you need I may have some left over fabric , don't remember what percent it is though , if I can help let me know
This might be exactly what we need. Thanks!
Can you send me a link please?
Let me know what you have left over.
We don't need anything except something light to block sun and that will keep flies from landing on us mostly also.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Who makes this? Where should I look? Building supply, Lowes, etc?
How does it attach? Grommets? Can it be cut to fit? Will the edges unravel after cutting?
Needless to say, anything here outside really takes a beating from Virginia sun.
Thanks again for your help!
This is the material I was suggesting
Chainlink screening fabric

I would sandwich the top between two boards. On the bottom I would wrap or glue the lower edge to 1 inch pvc so it's more ridged and wrap the paracord so it rolls up as you pull it.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just went to their web site , proper terms might be wire lock , to hold the curtain on top and curtain clip for the roll up or bottom part , they also have the roll up handle, we use these items on our greenhouse's , properly done works well for a 86 ft. curtain
What about visibility? We want to be able to see out a bit.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Me again . . in your greenhouses, can you clearly see when and who might be walking/driving up to your place?
We're way out in the country and this is sort of important to us.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Yes you can see through the fabric, depending on the closeness of the weave, further away , say 20 yards you can't see through very well , if at all , closer 10 ft. or so similar to looking through a thick screen , often we add poly sheeting to the curtain to help with the wind and rain , and cold temps. . If you like , pm me your address and I'll cut off a small piece and mail it to you

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes you can see through the fabric, depending on the closeness of the weave, further away , say 20 yards you can't see through very well , if at all , closer 10 ft. or so similar to looking through a thick screen , often we add poly sheeting to the curtain to help with the wind and rain , and cold temps. . If you like , pm me your address and I'll cut off a small piece and mail it to you
PM on the way . . the poly sheeting is a good idea we had not thought of.

·
Premium Member
8,189 Posts
Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
There's probably a canvas company in your area that would custom make your screens for you just like the company Jeff pointed out. Lowes lists that chainlink fence material in 8x50 for $54 and other than having to hem it when you cut it would be a cheap way out for you. If you held your tounge right, I'm sure you cpould do it.lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts