M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey now everybody. i'm 22 years old and have been shooting weapons since as long as i can remember. my dads an old marine nam' vet. He always taught me to square my stuff away. and that included making my bed every god damn day, never being a crapbird, and to always "fix your god damn cover". As payment ive decided to get him a Springfield Armory m1a for his birthday. Was gonna grab a scout squad but opted for the loaded version instead. It'll be here by the end of the week. Any tips on what i gotta do to prep this thing and make sure its greased and ready to dish out some crap stew would be greatly appreciated.

Tiocfaidh ár lá!!!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A good place to start:

http://m14forum.com/reference/96750-m14-detailed-lubrication-instructions.html

Surf around, I'm sure there's a thread in here on cleaning the M-14 rifle.

I suggest you surf the threads from Ted, Art, Gus, et al, as well. Get yourself a one piece, coated rod, a muzzle guide, a chamber brush, and some patches.

Check Different's website while your at it. (You can link to it from his posts).

Tonyben has a few more threads in here, I believe, so look him up too.

louie, out!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Right On Bradduh!!

Aloha and Welcome OURDAYWILLCOME,

Ya done your Pappy a good one by getting him the Springfield Armory M1A. Its gonna be a lot of reading and searching, but its gonna be all worth the time spent here.

Enjoy your stay here.GI2

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Your Dad will be at a loss for words when hes sees that beauty I'm sure! Welcome to the forum! Now you gotta get yourself one!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. Your dad has got to be one hell of guy simply because he raised a considerate and caring son. What a great thing to do, and as suggested, it will then be time for you to get one of your own. The time spent together at the range would be unforgettable. Let us know how it works out. GITEN

·
Registered
838 Posts
OURDAYWILLCOME;hey now everybody. i'm 22 years old and have been shooting weapons since as long as i can remember. my dads an old marine nam' vet. He always taught me to square my stuff away. and that included making my bed every god damn day, never being a crapbird, and to always "fix your god damn cover". As payment ive decided to get him a Springfield Armory m1a for his birthday. Was gonna grab a scout squad but opted for the loaded version instead. It'll be here by the end of the week. Any tips on what i gotta do to prep this thing and make sure its greased and ready to dish out some crap stew would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, OUR DAY WILL SURELY COME.

I didn't know my dad had another son.

Welcome,
Phinehas

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
That's a super gift. Your time being a little squeezed, best I can recommend is you persuade your FFL dealer to get SAI on the horn before the rifle ships and tell them this one's special, you want the cleanest, tightest, closest-to-USGI specimen of a Loaded they can put together, no excuses, no BS. Get a can of Lubriplate 130-A or comparable grease (NLGI # 2 is the spec). If you can find at least one USGI 20 rd M14 magazine to go with the 5 or 10-rounder that comes with a new M1A your Pop'll like that. And, of course, a couple boxes of ammo - commercial clone of U.S. M80 Ball for now. Cotton cleaning patches, bore solvent & brushes, chamber brush, combination tool he can pick up along the way. You might get a chamber brush and combination tool with the rifle. Congratulations to both of you.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,027 Posts
The lost art of Research is doing great...

Well come on board OURDAYWILLCOME, this here M14/M1A board is a great place for info on your fathers M14. Enjoy the site and post often.DI5

·
Registered
526 Posts
Welcome from Idaho! Great gift! No doubt your pop will appreciate it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JUST GOT THE CALL. MY SA M1A JUST GOT IN AND I'M READY TO GO PICK IT UP TOMORROW AT NOON. MY POPS STILL HAS NO IDEA HES GETTING IT AS A PRESENT. Its kind of funny too because just yesterday he was telling me a story about being on the range at parris island around 68'. They were firing their m14's and the DI was walking down the line checking their weapons and my dad noticed a buddy of his didn't keep his bolt open after firing. He ran to go help him but by the time he got back the DI was holdin his weapon, bolt closed, ready to tear him a new one. He made him stand at attention in front of the other marines as he stressed the importance of keeping the bolt on your weapon open for safety reasons ect., and then proceeded to let it close fully on his face/lips. Even the DI was a little surprised at the damage it did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.