M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are so pleased with your rifle that you begin to accumulate extra bolts, barrels, wood and op-rods as spares. This is followed by the realization that your parts bin contains the nucleus of a new rifle and for an additional investment, your barrel and bolt can be sent and mated with a new forged receiver. In two weeks, you've grown a new M-14 which requires spares, so the cycle continues.DI5

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
so remember, the 1st step to being cured is admiting that you have a problem. there may be hope after all.
andy

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have collected everything except the bolt, op rod, barrel, and receiver. Honest, they're just spares for the first rifle. When I get those last four parts too, I'll just need to find the best way to keep them all together for future use. Jon Wolfe has a great system for doing that. I have a beautiful birch storage container all of them will fit in quite nicely. So see, I don't got no steenkin' problem!
Chronic M-14 Syndrome.......hmmpphh!! GI1

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I just cannot see this as a problem. Look at all the good we are doing:

We are recycling old parts.

We are supporting the economy.

We are keeping history alive.

We are learning skills that could help many in the event of a national catastrophe.

And last, but not least, we participate in an internet social networking site that serves to remove us from the constant need of attention from our significant others which helps to perpetuate harmony on the home front.

Now, if I can just locate the perfect tiger stripe stock I can start the build around it I would so like to do.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I have collected everything except the bolt, op rod, barrel, and receiver. Honest, they're just spares for the first rifle. When I get those last four parts too, I'll just need to find the best way to keep them all together for future use. Jon Wolfe has a great system for doing that. I have a beautiful birch storage container all of them will fit in quite nicely. So see, I don't got no steenkin' problem!
Chronic M-14 Syndrome.......hmmpphh!! GI1
lol GI1

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I am definitely suffering from chronic M-14 something or the other. I've always been very fond of them since I saw the first one in Vietnam back in 1964. Not that I ever shot one or even handled one until decades later.

We still had M-1 Garands in the Navy back then and the Marines had M-14's, which was fine with me because I'd always loved the Garand as well. One day just before we were getting ready to cast off all lines and get under way to head down the Sacremento River toward the Golden Gate Bridge at San Francisco, on our second tour back to the Nam. I was standing up on the starboard wing of the bridge, watching our pier watch walking back and forth down on the pier with his M-1 slung over his shoulder, with a GI web belt of Garrand clips around his waist.

I asked my division officer who was standing there with me, why the Marines had new M-14's and we were still using the old WW2 M-1 Garand. He said son, the Navy spends its big money on Aircraft Carriers and fighter bombers and not small arms, because the M-1 Garand works just fine for our purposes. It made sense to me and I've never forgotten what Lt Nolan said that day.

7th

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
To admit that you have a problem willriskit, then you're taking that first big step in recovery from your addiction. To help this along, it's required that you start buying only your body weight each month of military surplus ammunition and M1A Battle Rifles. Then, with more support and help from your family and friends, slowly work down to twice a month until you can buy military surplus ammunition and M1A Battle Rifles each week without anymore problems, or until your bank card(s) hit the max limit. Just kidding......
I'm still trying to get back on the wagon again myself, no luck yet. I'm still on the gun powder patches with little success insight, I have to get a 2nd mortgaged on the house. My wife took the children and dogs and left me, but my doctor said I'm getting somewhat better. Ya right...... DI5

Reactions: cachunk

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just because I spend 4-6 hours a day shopping for M14 parts and accessories dosent mean I have a problemDI5

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm picking up my spare USGI SA bolt in a few minutes. It doesn't quite go with the spare Winchester op-rod that I have at home, so I might have to pick one of those up next. Jeez...this habit is getting more and more expensive every day!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I had that problem w/ AR-15s, not there yet w/ M14s as the prices are far higher

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Common name for "Trigger Pins" around my place is "SEEDS"

Do you think that's a problem?

·
Registered
210 Posts
My first M14 rifle started out as a USGI gas plug that my friend sent to me in the mail. From there, it certainly took root and grew into a full-fledged rifle. Don't get me wrong though; I am certainly not complaining!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Remember, your dealing with this problem out of LOVE!!!!

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
My first M14 rifle started out as a USGI gas plug that my friend sent to me in the mail. From there, it certainly took root and grew into a full-fledged rifle. Don't get me wrong though; I am certainly not complaining!
My 2nd M1A came out of a Winchester trigger group!DI2

Reactions: CAVman

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Oh my!!!!! This is a social network I belong to.
Parts seem to breed like rabbits. Next thing I know I have a new complete rifle and my wallet is a whole lot lighter

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Oh my!!!!! This is a social network I belong to.
Parts seem to breed like rabbits. Next thing I know I have a new complete rifle and my wallet is a whole lot lighter
Do it very slowly. You'll never notice the weight change.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have found its not just the rifle but all the things associated with it.
The original manual, Old advertizing ads. Old ammo boxes. web gear. It's truly a curse.
What's sad is... we name them.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
My first Polytech M14 started off as a $35.00 stripped TRW bolt that I bought back in the 80s at a gun show many years before I ever bought my first M14 style rifle. I also started buying up M14 mags as well when I could find them for a buck or two a pop. I end up with many mags and a more than decent supply of parts by buying my stuff back when it was abundant and still cheap.

7th

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.