M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"You don't know nothin, you should have been on Saipan when the japs counter attacked."

My father uttered these words many times when I was a kid.

He was a sea bee in ww II. He didn't want to be there.

He suffered through the depression. The youngest of 6 in a irish catholic family living in Pittsburgh. Both parents were imigrants and alcoholics.

Industry started coming back and he finally got a good job ay J&L steel. Then a man in a foreign country started a war.

Next thing he knew he was reluctantly shipped to the pacific. He missed the action at Guadacanal. just showing up in time to catch malaria.

He vowed to be in on the next big one. Saipan was his next opportunity to get in on "the action". My father and his buddy Percy were helping build a air field. they were assigned a defensive position to spend the night. springfields in hand.

Counter attack. Finally the action he spent so long craving.

He quickly realized he would rather back at the mill.

After that night his whole focus was trying to get "out of the action".

When I was a kid, anytime I would complain he would reply, " That aint nothin, you should have been on Saipan when the japs counter attacked".

It took me along time to understand the point he was making. Myself , like all, have had some difficult times in life. Family problems, money problems, and women problems. My new M1A only shoots 5 inch group problems etc.....

I have had my bad days, but thank God, I was never on Saipan when the Japs counter attacked.

·
Registered
172 Posts
"You don't know nothin, you should have been on Saipan when the japs counter attacked."

My father uttered these words many times when I was a kid.

He was a sea bee in ww II. He didn't want to be there.

He suffered through the depression. The youngest of 6 in a irish catholic family living in Pittsburgh. Both parents were imigrants and alcoholics.

Industry started coming back and he finally got a good job ay J&L steel. Then a man in a foreign country started a war.

Next thing he knew he was reluctantly shipped to the pacific. He missed the action at Guadacanal. just showing up in time to catch malaria.

He vowed to be in on the next big one. Saipan was his next opportunity to get in on "the action". My father and his buddy Percy were helping build a air field. they were assigned a defensive position to spend the night. springfields in hand.

Counter attack. Finally the action he spent so long craving.

He quickly realized he would rather back at the mill.

After that night his whole focus was trying to get "out of the action".

When I was a kid, anytime I would complain he would reply, " That aint nothin, you should have been on Saipan when the japs counter attacked".

It took me along time to understand the point he was making. Myself , like all, have had some difficult times in life. Family problems, money problems, and women problems. My new M1A only shoots 5 inch group problems etc.....

I have had my bad days, but thank God, I was never on Saipan when the Japs counter attacked.

DukeConnor

That was was one of the most poignant posts I have ever seen.

Thank you.

And your father.

And all who served.

·
Registered
695 Posts
it all about your perspective. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.