M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started shooting Black Powder Cartridge Rifle (BPCR) Matches about two years ago. Had been shooting long range gong events for a couple years before that. Kept thinking this 40-yr-old deterioration is for the birds. I was past 60 and up to 2.5 readers but started to suspect something else so finally gave up and made an appointment.

Doctors usually try not to alarm patients but this guy comes in and tells me “I have terrible news”. Then proceeds to tell me I have 8% of my optic nerve left alive in my right eye; 25% in my left. He thinks I’ve had glaucoma for the last 16-18 yrs.

Well, I’m still shooting matches and still have a drivers licence. And with five drops a day in each eye of three different meds we think the progression is stabilized. But I have a reputation for taking longer to acquire a good sight-picture than most anyone on the line and have to rush the ejecting/rechambering to get thru my 10 shots per relay. If you imagine a circle for your rear aperture and then fuzz that line from another 5 o’clock to 11 o’clock that’s what takes me so long. Just glad I can still shoot and wish I’d have suspected something else besides the natural 40+ deterioration sooner.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Glaucoma can steal your sight for sure. Somewhat surprised that you had not experienced any pain or discomfort. Typically, elevated interocular pressure is accompanied by some level of discomfort. Glad to hear that your ophthalmologist has been able to treat and stabilize your pressures and preserve your sight.

It is important to have annual or semi-annual eye health examinations even if you don't have a refractive error or wear glasses. A good doctor, providing a thorough exam, can detect many other non-eye related health issues early; diabetes, hypertension, etc.

Best of luck with your situation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ugh, eye problems are easy to miss if we don't get those regular exams. Especially as we get older. Have had my own glaucoma issues, finally ending with surgery to bleed off excess ocular pressure. It worked but lost some vision in my dominant left eye.

Wishing you the best..

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
This is one justification for regular checkups as you get older. This kind of thing happens gradually and will sneak up on you. ....not just vision but the big C, kidney disease, cardio/vascular problems as well.
Take care of your geriatric a**es.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the well wishes.

geriatric a**es is right!

I’m feeling more geriatric now for sure. Used to work out regularly. Doc was sure to impress on me - never again another push-up, never again another set-up, nothing with my head below my heart. “Don’t even want you to strain on the thrown”, he says. I understand the pressure aspect but I think his concern is blowing out any more of that 8%. If that happens it won’t be just tunnel vision. I pay attention. But the muscle mass started saying goodbye right away. So I resemble that geriatric comment for a fact:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dang - I'm dreadfully sorry to hear of this :eek:

If it helps, I read this thread and promptly made an appointment with my own eye-doc as I've been having very tired/blurry vision the past few weeks.

Turns out that our tears are supposed to made from water and oils - but mine were just water and he could easily see that the oil-glands were blocked-up (apparently not an uncommon issue), so the water was simply evaporating.

The fix: A cotton sock filled with dry rice and nuked for a minute to heat the rice, then draped over closed eyelids to warm up the glands and release the blockage - once a day for 2 weeks should do it.

Once again, I'm awfully sad about your situation - I sure hope that you manage to stabilize it :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.