M14 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
sorry it took so long, i don't really have a suitable place for taking pictures. US model 1917, all chromed. note the last 3 digits of the serial #. i suspect this one was made just as the war ended, someone set it aside as special, and it lived the comfortable life of a parade and ceremony rifle. it shoots very nicely. i found this in a tiny little shop, mountain city guns, in jasper georgia when i lived in nearby nelson, 1999, more or less. got it cheap, everyone else was thinking AR15s for the Y2k zombie apocalypse. in those days i worked just down the street from tapco, could order stuff and go pick it up during lunch.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
here's another pic of the c96. i bought this as a c&r parts gun, let it sit in a drawer for 15 years, decided to make it shootable. couple of hundred dollars in parts later and it shoots, and pretty well considering there's little to no rifling. redman and i PO'ed each other and lugerman failed to impress by not responding to e-mails. so this is where it will sit for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
my 7.62x51 "field" headspace gauge arrived today from brownells. bolt won't close on it, which i believe means the bolt is not worn out and the rifle is safe to shoot. :D i'll try it again in a year or so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
my polytech is horribly inaccurate. replaced the WCE rear sight but that didn't seem to help. last outing it produced a vertical string of about 4 inches... from 30 yards. so i read up some and decided the gas system needed firming up, and ordered some parts from treeline, which parts arrived today.

hoping to get it out to the range again in a couple of weeks, we'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Welcome. Nice pics.
thanks. need to get some more pics. started collecting about 20 years ago. the trapdoor and polytech are my most recent acquisitions. in theory i need an '03 to fill in the gap, but for some reason they don't call to me. meanwhile i'm working to get this m14-thing working right!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
not giving up on the polytech's iron sights, but bought a scope at the local gunshow.. hopefully i'll get a better sense of what the rifle can do off a bag in terms of accuracy, and if i don't like it, it's easy enough to take it off, mount and all.
it's an Osprey-Global 3-9x40, and i probably paid too much, because the reviews i've seen are mediocre at best. but it's mounted on the rifle now so i'll take it out next week sometime and see what i can do with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
have ordered up (and installed) a .062 NM front sight and .052 rear aperture for poly to help the old eyes. some fitting/filing required. aperture expected to arrive tomorrow, then wait for a nice sunny day to go to the range.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 42 Posts