M14 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Nothing of the sort. What you read in my response thread is what they sent me. Basically grind it or bash it. Haha .. I was hoping they would say
“Send it in we will grind it or bash it for you” and send it back. They didn’t offer any solution other than that. Let me be clear too, I don’t want anything “given” to me either just stand behind your stuff is all I ask. That’s a rare thing now a days. Ehh... life goes on but all that being said, when every other SA receiver has worked or works I have a hard time with being told it’s the “known SAGE chassis issue” response. I call BS
Well that truly is a shame to hear, I guess there is no Bula warranty. It was pointed out to me, that my GunWorks of Lower Alabama receivers have no warranty because of the company being out of business.

It seems to me, in business or not has no bearing if a company still in business won't back their products.

Just an observation.

REN

·
Registered
366 Posts
It doesn't seem like the OP wants to modify the stock because he uses other receivers with it. If the this receiver will be in the stock permanently, the a stock modification is the way to go. If he wants to drop in another receiver, then the receiver will have to be modified a little at a time. I'd get some calipers and compare the other receiver dimensions to this one to get an idea of where to take some material off.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
I checked with my friend who had the same issue.

He had the barreled action for over a year before finding a SAGE chassis in FDE, so he didn't even think about contacting BULA.

He didn't take any pictures. I told him to take a few if he ever breaks the rifle down for cleaning, which is not likely in our lifetimes.

He also didn't check with me before grinding. I would have suggested modifying the receiver, if possible. The SAGE chassis is designed for numerous applications. The Bula XM-21 is designed to compliment the SAGE rail.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It doesn't seem like the OP wants to modify the stock because he uses other receivers with it. If the this receiver will be in the stock permanently, the a stock modification is the way to go. If he wants to drop in another receiver, then the receiver will have to be modified a little at a time. I'd get some calipers and compare the other receiver dimensions to this one to get an idea of where to take some material off.

Exactly right. I tinker with different setups here and there so modifying a perfectly fine SAGE chassis to accommodate the BULA receiver isn’t an option. Plus I didn’t want to just go and start grinding on the receiver and have an issue down the road that they can say “well this has been modified “so you have no warranty. At this point it seems like it’s common to tell customers to grind their stuff to fit EBR so they can’t hold it against me. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how this is common practice for this particular situation as a remedy. But hey.... it’s not the end of the world just a receiver.

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
An option to consider

I have been following this thread and don't want to get into BULA vs. other receiver tolerance debate; however, I have worked with enough stocks over the years to know stock fitting issues are just an issue with the M14 platform. There is variability in many M14 receivers.

Based on the OP's response he does not want to make adjustments to this Sage Chassis so the logical thing to do is get the receiver legs in spec.

Below are a few shots of how the receiver legs are ground to ensure a perfect fit with the Bookfield stock liner. When reviewing other posts in the XM25 build thread there was discussion that the grinding procedure to ensure perfect fit with the brookfield liner also also brings the receiver legs into perfect spec as they were intended to be built. Further discussions indicated that once the grinding procedure was done that the receiver could be used in any stock [not just the Brookfield Liner] as it would fully be in spec after the procedure.

So I am wondering if the BULA receiver was sent to Brookfield and was ground, might this fix the fit for the Sage chassis while also allowing the receiver to be used in any other stock all while not making any modifications to the sage chassis. I realize this would be a an additional fee for the OP, but it may be worth the $40 -$50 bucks which could be a good solution.

Just a thought to consider.

M1Army

============================================

:Looks ground not polished.
You, Sir are correct.

This is Mitch's setup or grinding the legs to spec.

As a follow-up to Ren's post re the fitting of the liner to the receiver, here's some fyi info.

With each of these new BPT liners, Mitch includes installation instructions and an offer to fit the commercial M1A receiver legs to the BPT stock liner, so I won't go into details other than say he had a dedicated jig for this process. For anyone interested with the new BPT liners, here's the machining work that Mitch performed on my SAI receiver legs this month. My assumption is that this will ensure the mating surfaces of the rear legs are truly parallel to the BPT XM25 liner's legs (3 degree angled area), hence a proper, tight fit.

Back of SAI receiver legs (note the precision grounded surfaces. They almost look like a polished surface):

View #2 of same area (note the precision grounded surfaces):

Work is not visible when the receiver and liner are mated together:

Turn around was very quick (less than two weeks. I mailed him my stripped receiver and a $50 USPS money order). I can't answer any questions re this process or its applicability to various receivers. What I have shown is all that I know, but I hope this is helpful nonetheless.

Sweeney, can you tell me if I have a receiver's legs ground by Mitch, will it still fit a gi stock liner properly? or will it fit better? or only ever fit a BPT liner from now on? Thanks. I have read that many commercial receivers are out of spec here, I was wondering if having that work done would be beneficial for non xm25 builds too.
I think I can answer that.
As I understand that they are brought into USGI specs,
so yes, beneficial, should fit any USGI stock wood or plastic as a drop in.
One of the most important surfaces and they were left as raw casting, why???.
Ever see a SAI build with the heel up in the air???
That is because the legs would not seat in the liner properly, and they did not bother resolving the problem.
They do the same with the Oprod take down notch..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
M1 Army.. I’d be more than willing to send it to them to have it fixed. I’m going to look your post over at home I’m on Tapatalk App at the moment. I’m with you, this isn’t a bash anyone thread just a thread about how to fix it without bend to fit paint to match mentality. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Receiver legs can move during heat treatment because of the D cuts.If the datum target spec is toward the max spec and the legs move .Doesn't take much.

Takes just a few minutes to check this when you have tools to do so.

Leg width is .852" -.003"" located .890" off the heel deck.

Surface grinding to true surfaces together and at correct angle is a blueprinting process and perfect solution.

You could actually custom fit it so its perfectly married to that stock.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had the same issue when I put a Bula barreled action into an older Sage chassis. I had to file on the legs, cold blued those edges and then used a block of wood and a big hammer to get it to fit. Trigger group fits tight. Not sure I will ever take this rifle out of this chassis. Here is a link to my thread on the build. https://m14forum.com/modern-m14/504676-transformation-bula-m14-ebr-ri.html
Scout

Reactions: tonyben and nf1e

·
Registered
696 Posts
I also have a Bula XM 21 in an EBR chassis but mine was just a straight drop in after changing out the guide block. This was also true of another Fed Ord M14 that I also installed in a EBR chassis.

Nelson

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
To the original question.

There are a few options for correcting the fitment between the receiver and Sage. It's not an uncommon issue, but should be easy enough for the manufacturer to help you out by swapping your receiver for one that has smaller dimensions.

Grinding the receiver with a good fixture and properly dressed wheel is pretty straight forward also. You'd be surprised how little material needs to removed. The grinding fixture that Mitch uses is specific to his application. What you need is to locate where the issue is via Dykem or common layout fluid if you choose to modify the receiver.

It could be both legs, or just one. If you have any measuring tools (precise), it would help if you would measure the width of the receiver legs outside dimension as well as the legs individually (front to back). My guess is that it measures .005"-.011" + out of spec inclusive.

It is generally preferred to have a good fit. Slight press fit is good to prevent both chucking and front to back shifting.

Either way you go, one of the most critical aspects for fitting a Sage is the barrel timing block alignment. As the barrel heats up, any mid-alignment offset will induce tension on the barrel and shift your POI. I bring this up to say that you should not install your op rod guide block until you've sorted out proper fitment of the receiver.

Best of luck in resolving your issue.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts