M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mocking up my receiver and I noticed that the chassis won’t allow the receiver to sit down far enough to be flush on the chassis. Is this a known issue or just my luck?

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
Known issue with early receivers. A friend had to remove a lot of metal from the sides of the chassis in order to get the receiver to fit properly. I think I would have returned the receiver, instead.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Known issue with early receivers. A friend had to remove a lot of metal from the sides of the chassis in order to get the receiver to fit properly. I think I would have returned the receiver, instead.

Ya I agree. I will probably send it back to BULA if they will honor it. I’ve had this thing a long time. I would imagine they will stand behind it. I’m not gonna modify either product to get one to fit the other because then I’ve custom “fitted” and made both useless for other builds.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
Ya I agree. I will probably send it back to BULA if they will honor it. I’ve had this thing a long time. I would imagine they will stand behind it. I’m not gonna modify either product to get one to fit the other because then I’ve custom “fitted” and made both useless for other builds.
My sediments as well. I was shocked when I saw how much metal he had to remove. The rifle turned out to be very accurate, but the chassis is essentially ruined if he decides to make changes.

He also had problems getting a Bula trigger assembly to fit in the chassis. He ended up using the SAI from his Socom.

As a side note, his M1A Socom dropped into the chassis perfectly right from the start.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I submitted my “support” ticket with BULA we’ll see what they say. I’m not to optimistic for a quick fix because they’re website says they are retooling for some reason or another. Hell, I’d let them just repair my receiver and be done with it. I’m not sure if they simply remake it or fix it.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I submitted my “support” ticket with BULA we’ll see what they say. I’m not to optimistic for a quick fix because they’re website says they are retooling for some reason or another. Hell, I’d let them just repair my receiver and be done with it. I’m not sure if they simply remake it or fix it.
If they just need to thin out the outside of the legs, I'd guess they could just machine it down, as that surface isn't one that gets a bunch of wear, and as such wouldn't need heat treatment, or at least that's my uneducated uninformed guess.

Don't know what they'll actually want to do, but I think that if it's too wide, it's probably a good argument that the width is beyond spec of what an M14 receiver 'should' be to fit into a standard stock cutout.

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
I think you will find it is a simple fitment issue where the receiver legs contact
your SAGE as the XM21 was engineered to compliment that chassis from the earliest. I have ser# 2 and 3 and they are both drop in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you will find it is a simple fitment issue where the receiver legs contact
your SAGE as the XM21 was engineered to compliment that chassis from the earliest. I have ser# 2 and 3 and they are both drop in.

Mine is more than just a “little off” because I can’t even force it in place by hand to set flush. I understand it was made for the EBR but this one would have to be beat into place with a hammer. Serial number 1 or 1000 that ain’t right.

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
Mine is more than just a “little off” because I can’t even force it in place by hand to set flush. I understand it was made for the EBR but this one would have to be beat into place with a hammer. Serial number 1 or 1000 that ain’t right.
No need to beat anything into place.
What is needed is to remove a small amount of material from to forward edges of your Sage in the leg recess area. It is called fitment and once again, these are not ARs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need to beat anything into place.
What is needed is to remove a small amount of material from to forward edges of your Sage in the leg recess area. It is called fitment and once again, these are not ARs.
Beating things into place was never an option..just to be clear and I have had many receivers in this exact EBR in the past all fit snug as they should but FIT. Im aware that these rifles aren't like AR's that fit together for the most part like legos. M1A style rifles require a little more skill to assemble properly. So I guess I'm sorry I'm not in a real hurry to grind, beat or otherwise alter the expensive receiver in order for this to work. I'm not in a hurry, I will wait until BULA gets back to me on how they want to handle this either way. BTW this is not a bash on them either, mass produced parts no matter how good QC is sometimes slip up. Poo happens

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
As I recall, my friend's receiver was scraping along the side rails at the top of the receiver legs, underneath the oprod area. I'm trying to find out if he took pictures.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To say the least, I’m not impressed with the response to this. Basically grind the receiver or beat it in with a mallet. This wouldn’t be so bad of a response if I’ve had many SA receivers fit perfectly into this exact chassis in the past.
Their response:

“This is actually a known issue with Sage Chassis. The receiver leg pockets are undersized. Our early receivers measured toward the high end of the datum tolerance making it appear more dramatic. Lightly filing the angled portion of the receiver legs and covering with cold blue afterward will get it to sit flush if that's what you want. Keep in mind that making it loose to the trigger group will lower accuracy. You want some tension in that area. Ideally there will be a small space between the heel and chassis. Many have seated the receiver well with a rubber mallet to the heel.”

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
To say the least, I’m not impressed with the response to this. Basically grind the receiver or beat it in with a mallet. This wouldn’t be so bad of a response if I’ve had many SA receivers fit perfectly into this exact chassis in the past.
Their response:

“This is actually a known issue with Sage Chassis. The receiver leg pockets are undersized. Our early receivers measured toward the high end of the datum tolerance making it appear more dramatic. Lightly filing the angled portion of the receiver legs and covering with cold blue afterward will get it to sit flush if that's what you want. Keep in mind that making it loose to the trigger group will lower accuracy. You want some tension in that area. Ideally there will be a small space between the heel and chassis. Many have seated the receiver well with a rubber mallet to the heel.”
Don't see what you find wrong with the response. SAIs were know for loose fits in everything hence so much need for bedding. Folks have had the same fitment issue with all makers of forged receivers going into a SAGE. Rubber mallet is used nowadays to replace the wooden or leather mallet that was used for fitment on USGI M1s and M14s into the stock and also to close the trigger guard. Common procedure used to keep things tight.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Their response:

Would they not accept a return? Did you ask them about a warranty?

RENGI2

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't see what you find wrong with the response. Folks have had the same fitment issue with all makers of forged receivers going into a SAGE. Rubber mallet is used nowadays to replace the wooden or leather mallet that was used for fitment on USGI M1s and M14s into the stock and also to close the trigger guard. Common procedure used to keep things tight.

I’m well aware of how a mallet is to be used. It’s not exactly a precision tool like some may choose to use it. Also, shy of grinding the receiver or the sage chassis this thing is not going to fit. Both options are unacceptable IMO for what I’m looking to do. Furthermore I posted this originally because I’ve literally never had a fitment issue of this kind with any other SA receiver into this exact chassis. All I’ve ever read or heard of BULA are high praises and how wonderful their stuff is. Never have owned any of their stuff I wasn’t too impressed with this particular issue or response. That’s pretty much it. No more no less. So to be lectured on how a mallet is to be used or why I have it all wrong because I won’t side with gridding or beating something into place is ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would they not accept a return? Did you ask them about a warranty?

RENGI2

Nothing of the sort. What you read in my response thread is what they sent me. Basically grind it or bash it. Haha .. I was hoping they would say
“Send it in we will grind it or bash it for you” and send it back. They didn’t offer any solution other than that. Let me be clear too, I don’t want anything “given” to me either just stand behind your stuff is all I ask. That’s a rare thing now a days. Ehh... life goes on but all that being said, when every other SA receiver has worked or works I have a hard time with being told it’s the “known SAGE chassis issue” response. I call BS

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
I’m well aware of how a mallet is to be used. It’s not exactly a precision tool like some may choose to use it. Also, shy of grinding the receiver or the sage chassis this thing is not going to fit. Both options are unacceptable IMO for what I’m looking to do. Furthermore I posted this originally because I’ve literally never had a fitment issue of this kind with any other SA receiver into this exact chassis. All I’ve ever read or heard of BULA are high praises and how wonderful their stuff is. Never have owned any of their stuff I wasn’t too impressed with this particular issue or response. That’s pretty much it. No more no less. So to be lectured on how a mallet is to be used or why I have it all wrong because I won’t side with gridding or beating something into place is ridiculous to me.
Wow, simply making suggestions from a different point of view, there is no lecturing going on at all. Relaying what others on the forum have done with fitting different brands of receivers to a SAGE and worked for them is certainly not ridiculous by any stretch. We are here to help only.
I would suggest you contact either TonyBen or Ted Brown and see what they might have for suggestions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, simply making suggestions from a different point of view, there is no lecturing going on at all. Relaying what others on the forum have done with fitting different brands of receivers to a SAGE and worked for them is certainly not ridiculous by any stretch. We are here to help only.
I would suggest you contact either TonyBen or Ted Brown and see what they might have for suggestions.

I’ll do that. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,081 Posts
I’ve fit quite a few of these receivers to the SAGE chassis. I prefer that it’s too tight. It allows me to remove some material off the SAGE to fit the receiver perfectly with a snug fit. A tight fit means better accuracy on the firing line. It takes 15 minutes with a hand file once you know what you’re doing.

In its current state, no amount of hammering with a rubber mallet will seat it. When I’m done, a rubber mallet will get it to seat and it takes a rubber mallet to remove. It’s not convenient, but it’s ideal for accuracy.

Tony.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts