M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is kind of a multi question post. I recently started collecting WWII fighting knives and picked up a Western Shark knife with a cocobolo handle. I feel it's in pretty good shape and want to keep it that way. Here we go
Should I treat the handle with anything to keep the wood looking good?
The blade is kind of dull> should I have it sharpend or leave as is?
The scabard is getting pretty dry. Is there any specal oil I should treat it with.
I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks
Al
http://members.cox.net/shane918/western_shark.html

·
Rest in Peace
21,520 Posts
Use mink oil on the sheath & rub it in good so it will penetrate. Light use of pure linseed oil on the handle. If you aren't going to use it I wouldn't bother sharpening it for now.
HH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Thanks for getting back to me on that. I'll give em both a try. As far as using the knife for anything I'm just collecting for show and tell and maybe trade at some point. There's some grayish discoloration on the blade and pommel and I'm thinking it's patina? If I choose to lightly clean up the blade a bit what would you recommend. Thanks
Al

·
Rest in Peace
21,520 Posts
In corrosion removal you use the mildest abrasive possible. Try a white colored ink eraser.
One of the problems of leather is it outgases which wil cause metal to tarnish & then corrode. So after cleaning the blade oil it. Oil off the blade won't hurt the leather.
HH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.