M14 Forum banner

WWII Campaign Hat

882 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MuleSkinner88 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure what Forum but need some exposure for information to my question Gents.

I was at an Army/Navy store yesterday and was blown away by a WWII labeled Campaign hat, similar to a DI Lid. Beautiful condition that is very impressive but has honest usage as the sweat band area has collected fine dirt and sweat stain. It has the rope and acorns, silk hat band also, Montana peak, but missing the original leather chin strap. The Bright golden yellow hat cord of the Cavalry?

The maker is a STETSON , round stamp, New York, Paris, Philadelphia, London. Nicely stamped on the inside hat band with a silk bow. I "think" it is a Marine as it has 2 pin holes in the front and I will probably pin it as such.

My dilemma is I think that I want to have it blocked. I used a compressor and gently blew off a few years of collected dust. Did I say it is in great condition, I have been looking for many years to get a good original non moth eaten lid. Then it was there with 3 others that came in a weak ago this was the best.

I wish I could picture for the Gyrene's and Army Lemon Sqeezer's. One day perhaps.

Should I leave be or have a professional block it out for me. I do plan on sporting it at the Range with my period firearms. In Tribute of course.

See less See more
#8 ·
Nice find.
Maybe this Post will stir the pot on getting a member to Post up his USMC Officer's Campaign Hat.
As to having it sharped & blocked there is only one place for me. That's DbarJ in Las Vegas,NV ask for David the owner or see if Slippery Sam is still working for him. Let them know Samuel Tripp(SASS#939) referred you.
Pfc out
One of the best hats I have was made for me by DbarJ, it fits like a glove and has my SASS alias printed on the inside band. Dave is a great guy and they have a bunch of old time hat machines and do a wonderful job on ALL KINDS of hats.
Scout

#6 ·
Well after looking for information about the Lid I found the black and white tag behind the leather inside hat band. Now maybe I can date the hat between 1890 and 1920. The tag is marked and serialized. Now as chief on one said maybe more of the hats personal information can be found.

The Campaign Hat has a very nice inside leather hat band gold STETSON stamp and has the Philadelphia address, 1224 Chestnut. The hat, hatband is definitely green yet has bright gold braid and acorns that look to have been on the hat for a long time.

Now I hope that I can find further information starting with the place I bought it from. :)

#7 ·
MuleSkinner,
Take a look to see if there is a quality mark on the inside band 100% Wool, 100% Beaver or Nutra Quality. The quality helps to determine the Rank issued to. Also look to see if on the brim if there is any stitching on the perimeter one or two rows. I have had a couple over the years from USMC Pistol Team members. The chin strap can be sourced through the Boy Scouts Store and they are a Very Nice leather type.
Nice Find,
Wear in well,
Pfc out

#9 ·
One of the reasons I bought this particular hat was it fit perfectly, 7 1/8 and was in very nice original condition. The Lid says Nutria Quality also in gold on the leather which is very supple but needs the bow inside repaired even though it is still partially attached.

I have been very easy on looking under the inside leather as I do not want to damage but I continue to find more information. To find a name would be very kool and the serial number would be helpful as maybe there is a register still for the hats that were spacial made as this one appears with size, block, depth, finish, and serial on the bottom of tag

I will find either someone local or the Lid will be sent to the appropriate location to have some minor stitching to tighten the leather bow and block the hat. The brim is perfect also with I believe a purpose flex on the right side of about maybe an inch.

To flatten the brim or leave as is?

#10 ·
Muleskinner and all,

Try as I might I can't get the picture transfered from my cell phone to the computer. I'll get my camera back tomorrow, from my step-daughter and try that!
My hat is identical to yours it seems. Size 7 1/4" Stetson Nutria Quality.
The Nutria is a animal that is a cross between the beaver and a muskrat. Didn't pan out for the fur trade so they turned them loose. Now they breed like the rodents they are...
These are VERY high quality hats...hang onto yours. Mine fits perfectly.

Wes

#13 · (Edited)
The Campaign hats were made to be used, worn. So that is what makes them hard to find in swell condition.

The more I research the more that interests me. I have come closer to a date now as the 1224 Chestnut address is after Feb.1913. And the brim has no stitching at all. Maybe another reason for such a build being special made? And the knotted braid has sweat stain visible also. I believe the Stetson to be original well maintained and I got very lucky to have fate put it in my hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.