M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about this AWC bracket?

Is this a real bracket, or one of the Pete Michaels repros from the 70's? The screw is missing the washer and clip, are they available?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thats nifty, but does have any kind of marking on it?

Mine got's a flaming bomb on it....

I also have one of the "P. Michaels", and it is stamped as such.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Griffin & Howe still makes the mount/rings that go on this base. They retail for about $350 and have 1" rings. The originals with 7/8" rings go for over $1000. Been trying for years to get G&H to remake the 7/8".

To mrmark99: thanks for sharing; have never seen one w/bomb. Now...I want one.

To conditionone: any of the current bolts from Sadlak or SEI should work on this mount.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Griffin & Howe still makes the mount/rings that go on this base. They retail for about $350 and have 1" rings. The originals with 7/8" rings go for over $1000. Been trying for years to get G&H to remake the 7/8".

To mrmark99: thanks for sharing; have never seen one w/bomb. Now...I want one.

To conditionone: any of the current bolts from Sadlak or SEI should work on this mount.
If you are interested, I will give the guys name in France who makes a 7/8" repro rings and base. I bought his rings and a G&H current production mount. He sells the rings for $200, they are really good. I don't like his repro base as the throw levers are squared off, but the rings fit G&H mounts just fine.

Here is a listing. PM him, tell him you want rings only, and he will create a listing for you..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garand-M1C-...294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2f749716

Here is my setup. AWC mount, G&H current production base, French guy's 7/8" repro rings, and real M84

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
G&H mounts

I'll have to dig out the P. Michaels version and take a picture, no the bomb mark is not the P. Michaels version. I have only the upper half to the mount (G&H) but not the rings. Still waiting to find a set of originals. I have seen about a dozen of these mounts. I actually turned one(ATU)of these mounts down last year for like $25.

Some of my history:
I go to 20+ gunshows a year, and I spend hours there, usually from open to close, and also I belong to a large firearms collectors organization, and I am also the membership secretary for the same collectors organization, and I have other members picking up stuff for me all the time, or setting it back for me to look at it first. So it is usually pretty easy for me to pick up stuff to collect.
Then in my spare time I search Ebay/Gunbroker/other sites 4 to 6 hours per day. Then every Saturday and Sunday I visit local (8 to 12) gun shops/pawnshops, and then when traveling for work, I go looking too in various cities.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Rare - yes...

I think the P. Michaels version, while very RARE was created for civilian use..
Yes, you are correct. In the very early 1970s it was the only mount you could buy for the M1A. By 1976/78 or so it was no longer offered.(Shotgun News ads)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Looks very nice speedgunner. I agree with wifetrained, I have not seen an original with the washer and clip arrangement.

I've also never seen one with the ordnance bomb stamp. I'm trying to think of another place where the ordnace bomb stamp has the US stamped inside the circle. I can't think of any application where I have seen that.

Cass

1 - 15 of 15 Posts