M14 Forum banner

Wrong powder .... blew up rifle

2680 24
Hand Tire Automotive tire Product Automotive lighting
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well it happens. I have been in the ammo business for a long time. This not the first h110 mix up i have seen. I have had my almost blow up as well. I put the enfaces on ALMOST. I was loading some 45/70 using RX7. I finished up for the day, pulled the jug off the shelf dumped the measure out , put it all away. Couple days later I was loading 300 mag. Pulled the jug that said RX22 filled the measure and got started. I was about 10 rounds into it when something caught my eye. I was seeing an odd grain structure in the powder. I thought at first it was distortion from the curved plastic hopper. I stopped got a closer look and I had 2 powders mixed. This all happened at the time when Aliant changed the labeling on the jugs from the color code number system to strait numbers using red righting only. I had park both jugs next to each other on the shelf. When I was putting away the RX7 from the previous day ,I simply pulled the black jug with red righting and dumped it all back not looking at the number that said 22. This would have been a real bad boom ,75gr of RX7 would not have gone over to well to say the least. The long and short of it is It happens the the best of use sooner or later.
Be carful double check your labels. If you can not positively I.D. a powder DON"T US IT. Free sometimes has a price.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Well, you did break the first rule of reloading, and you paid the price. Glad you're not hurt and the rifle sure seems to have held together, at least not a catastrophic result.

I've been reloading for about 55 years and have learned a few lessons also. Once loaded a few 44 Mag rounds with what I ASSumed was 24 grains of H2400 under a 240 grain bullet (A favorite of the great Elmer Keith...). Problem was, I had violated the second rule: NEVER have any other powder within reach than the intended one. I had a can of BULLSEYE (!!?) and had inadvertently loaded 24 grains of that stuff (3-4 grains is normal for plinking loads...). Only thing that tipped me off was the bullets were not seating "normally", as the Bulleye is more bulky than 2400, so I figured out the problem and destroyed the 6 rounds I had already loaded. Another good reason to inspect every round! Catastrophe avoided in that instance!

Reloading is a lot of fun and very therapeutic. But those basic rules are absolutely unforgiving if you ignore them.

JWB

·
Premium Member
21,903 Posts
I have learned to keep the jug I am using on the bench while loading and put the unused powder back before it goes on the storage rack. Way too many powders to get things confused.

Electronic instrument Audio equipment Input device Gadget Shelf
Electrical wiring Shelving Gas Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
949 Posts
I once gave my neighbor an 8lb jug of IMR 4064 to settle a debt. It was unopened w/factory seal intact. If I'd broken the seal, I would not have offered it to him, and I doubt that he would have accepted it.

I don't reload much, but I would never use a powder that didn't come from a reliable source, or had been opened.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts