M14 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Well, you did break the first rule of reloading, and you paid the price. Glad you're not hurt and the rifle sure seems to have held together, at least not a catastrophic result.

I've been reloading for about 55 years and have learned a few lessons also. Once loaded a few 44 Mag rounds with what I ASSumed was 24 grains of H2400 under a 240 grain bullet (A favorite of the great Elmer Keith...). Problem was, I had violated the second rule: NEVER have any other powder within reach than the intended one. I had a can of BULLSEYE (!!?) and had inadvertently loaded 24 grains of that stuff (3-4 grains is normal for plinking loads...). Only thing that tipped me off was the bullets were not seating "normally", as the Bulleye is more bulky than 2400, so I figured out the problem and destroyed the 6 rounds I had already loaded. Another good reason to inspect every round! Catastrophe avoided in that instance!

Reloading is a lot of fun and very therapeutic. But those basic rules are absolutely unforgiving if you ignore them.

JWB

1 - 1 of 1 Posts