M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
With powder where it is today Free always seems to be Good. I’m pulling down 160 45-90’s with 500 lead to change to 350. It’s 30’s of a unknown what to do because it’s 3/4 of lb. Most likely fertilizer. A hard lesson but bright side is you’re still here in one piece
Pfc out
Yep when in doubt pour it out, fertilizer

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
A buddy gave me some old reloads the other day for .30-40 Krag to shoot in my Browning 1895 lever gun. I looked them over, noted the fired cases all had split necks, looked at the unfired rounds, half were split already, who knows how many firings.
Powder unknown but charge seemed a tad high. Saved the bullets, dumped the powder in my July 4th can and threw out the brass.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
If you cannot positively identify the powder, do NOT use it. People mistake handgun powder for rifle all the time coz they do not look...or assume.

I have a separate loader for everything for every round. Pistol stuff has its own bench. The rifle stuff a separate bench. All it takes is one stupid mistake to lose your usefulness.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'll bet that used to be a good-shooting rifle. Expensive lesson, no sympathy from this quarter.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm guessing that is someone other than you, something you ran across on communist media. If it is you, I give you credit for fessing up to this crowd who will show no mercy. :censored:

Reactions: Kopper

·
Registered
180 Posts
Powder is nitrogen rich. Plants like it. I hope the shooter is ok. I HAD a beautiful Remington 700 Stainless in 7mm-08, in a gorgeous piece of walnut. I was not watching what I was doing, click, sizzle, pop! I had to borrow the range masters rubber mallet, bang the bolt up, then back. Remingtons 3 rings of steel did there job. The head, bolt face, were blown twice normal size. The receiver was bulged just ahead of the barrel. A $1300 mistake. That receiver and barrel sit by my reloading bench as a remainder. The worst failure was a fellow shooting a K98 next to me shooting with Turkish 8mm ammo. Click, BOOM! Barrel, stock, magazine blew out! So it can happen. L8899#

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Sooooo.... I'm guessing something in the neighborhood of 45grn H110???? :oops::oops::oops:

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,728 Posts
I'm surprised it held together as good as it did. Even though the receiver may appear undamaged the recoil shoulders should be gaged. They probably got pushed back. I would have expected the lugs to have sheared completely off and the bottom of the bolt to have broken out.

·
Premium Member
20,815 Posts
Learning from other's examples of "error in the hole" is excellent. As many times as this sort of thing is broadcast widely, there are some that don't believe it can happen to them. Big mistake, we are all capable of bad decisions.

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
I'm surprised there wasn't more damage .
and you sir need to get on your knees and thank the good Lord he decided to let you live and learn .

Reactions: upintheholler

·
Registered
192 Posts
yrs ago when I use to hand load for 45-70, 45acp, 45LC, 22-250, and 308 Norma Mag. I would load one round at a time to cut down on mistakes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have used BL-C(2) for a long time. It's fine powder, and I like it very much. Also, have used H110 but not in a rifle.

My sympathy to the guy. Praise God he's OK. I had an accident myself once, ONCE I was stupid with some US military surplus powder that had no load data. I keep the blown case on my loading bench as a reminder. Got a good chronograph and loaded to factory velocity on same bullets, and no more trouble.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts