1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my SA M1A from a very good friend and a shooting "bud"
he included 1000 pcs. of WRA 64 once fired brass along with a few boxes of
168 gr. Sierras.
After having been issued my M-16 and not having any time logged in actually firing this rifle since 1966, I went to the range to accustom myself with it's operation. It is like riding a bike...you never forget the simple basics.
Now to the problem...I went to reload the spent WRA cases and found them
to be very difficult to resize in a full-length Redding die. They actually froze
up 1/2" from the case head and forced me to lean on the ram arm to resize
the case. This also caused abrasion to the inside of the die, (scratches) to
which Redding promptly addressed by re-polishing.
I might note that the barrel and chamber are chrome-lined. I don't know if
that would have caused problems in re-sizing, but I have no problems with
LC brass.
I have read articles promoting small base dies for re-sizing military brass and
related oversized chambers.
SA indicates chamber size at 1.6325". Fired cases measure 1.630". And I re-
size to 1.625" which will chamber with no problems.
My question...are WRA cases the problem? should I try to load and fire the third reload?...or should I discontinue to load WRA cases?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I've load many hundreds of WRA cases along with LC cases. Some USGI cases have been fired out of machine guns and may be expanded to the more generous chamber dimension of those guns. Do you tumble your brass before reloading? The only other consideration when loading military brass is that it is softer than commercial brass and will be thicker so have less capacity, meaning higher pressures. Download it a bit and check for high pressure signs like flattened primers. Should be GTG.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Mercman !

I understand military brass is thicker and loads should be reduced. I clean and match prep all my cases. I am using a load of 41.5 grs. of 4895 with 155gr Sierra Palmas, which was recommended. As I stated, the fired case measures 1.630" and no sign of pressure on primers, of which I only use large Winchesters (i.e. 8 1/2's).
I appreciate your thoughts and will load a third time and check results.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
PatriotM1A,
First Welcome to the Forum.
You did not mention what type of case lube you used.
I have found Redding Imperial sizing die wax and Dry neck lube the best for resizing military grade brass.
I have tried other lubes but the Redding lubes work the best for my Redding Type S die.

Glenn

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Good advice all. OP, it's in your interest to determine as best you can how many times that once-fired brass has been fired and reloaded, especially if it was purchased bulk. The only times I've had trouble getting a smooth full-length re-size with LC or WRA was when it was work-hardened and due for the recycler. I don't think the brand of the die or the loading press would make any difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.