M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you rather have 2 really nice M14 type rifles with all GI parts and barrels of your chose or 3 OK M14 type rifles with some GI parts and luck of the draw repo parts? This is not about who made the rifles just nice rifles with GI or repo parts. What say you. The value would be the same for both lots of rifles.

·
Registered
966 Posts
2 really nice ones for me, maybe one day I will have one really nice one. So far I live with one okay one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hell, Ill take 1 with GI parts and barrel of choice over 3 without. You can only shoot one at a time. Better be a good one..

Now Im saying this in the context that I could not go out and replace the parts on the mediocre rifles as if the case were that these were the last rifles and parts available indefinitely...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Would you rather have 2 really nice M14 type rifles with all GI parts and barrels of your chose or 3 OK M14 type rifles with some GI parts and luck of the draw repo parts? This is not about who made the rifles just nice rifles with GI or repo parts. What say you. The value would be the same for both lots of rifles.
No matter how nice the two are, you're going to sink more money into them, and/or buy a third rifle.

I'd take the 3 pack, and shift as many USGI parts as I could into one rifle, and keep the other two as "project" guns, or even just a source of parts.

Especially if you're getting a good deal.. after you turn it all around, shift the good stuff into two of your rifles, do a few upgrades, etc - you'll have a left over rifle that you may be able to sell or trade to those of us that don't put a lot of stock in the whole "USGI" thing.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
2 all USGI as much as allowed under law

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I'll keep the 3 M1A's I own, they're getting old like me. I do wanna get done with a .308 Garand build and 82nd makes a lugged LRB M14 build in a McM stock awfully appealing. It's all about getting the parts - more will than wallet. USGI parts run high $ these days but they work and hold up to the punishment better than any others.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd go with the two with all GI parts but a 3 rifle deal may be worth more $$.. All My M-14's have all GI parts in them..I know because, I got the parts from the CMP and built them. Except for the super match.. which has a Hart NM barrel, SAI built that one.... B2B

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Three with mixed parts, put the USGI parts into one rifle, sell the other two rifles and use the money for ammo and upgrades.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I would rather have the 3 rifles. There are starting to be lots of quality commercial parts being made and in my opinion some of them are better quality than USGI.

In my opinion USGI is only required if you are a collector.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There are starting to be lots of quality commercial parts being made and in my opinion some of them are better quality than USGI.
In my opinion USGI is only required if you are a collector.
I agree (as far as CNC machines and heat treating technology gets better) USGI is 50's era.. but the problem is how can you tell it's a quality commercial part?? from a inferior commercial part.. unless you have the gauges. and metal alloy info..etc..there is no way to tell.. with out destructive tests.. I looked at LRB web page the other day and they list ed an op Rd that they are using on all their rifle builds.. it's listed as an import.. but they fail to say where, it is imported from...why?? because if they listed the country of origin people would be less likely to buy it.. SAI has gone to great lengths to keep the fact that they use parts made in Korea in their M1A ® quiet. The thing about USGI parts is you know for a fact, that part is U.S. made and forged..and gauged to spec.. B2B

·
Registered
80 Posts
Get an older one of you can. The USGI parts make me feel closer to the real thing but they don't make you a better shooter.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I would take the 2 rifle deal all else being equal. gives me 1 as a primary and a back up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts