M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a NM M1A. A friend gave me the rail system to toss on a scope. I don't know how I feel about adding a scope. I feel as if I am betraying my rifle.... any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I'm a little older and my eyesight isn't the best, I added a scope to my standard and was trilled with being able to actually see what I was shooting at and even more trilled to see that I was hitting the targets that I was now seeing.

I feel as though I would betray myself if I didn't add a scope to my rifle and I damn sure am not going to spite myself just to keep the rifle period correct.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
^^^^^ Once more^^^^^^ It's hard to argue with actually seeing the target.

Reactions: racer

·
Registered
75 Posts
As a battle rifle the scope may not seem appropriate to some people but if it was not mean't to be scoped the reciver would not have a groove and threaded hole for the retaining screw to allow a mount from the factory?DI5
Rodney

·
Registered
434 Posts
I mounted an ARMS mount and used quick detach rings. I can take the scope off as it suits me plus it is great to be able to see more precisely if I want. My rifle has never said it feels betrayed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If it's an issue with your vision, and it helps you see the target better, go for it. It can always be undone.

Human beings didn't come with glasses or contacts, but that doesn't stop me from wearing them to see better.

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
I like to be proficient in both disciplines but if you're good at shooting with iron sights, you'll most likely be a better scoped shooter. Just make sure you have a good scope mount. Some aren't worth the headache. Scopes definitely have their benefits, like testing an accuracy load, that you might not be able to fully test with iron sights.

Since I've mounted a scope, I've found some really good loads that were surprisingly accurate, and some loads that I thought were supposed to be accurate that actually were not.

Tony.

·
Administrator
17,408 Posts
^^^^^ Once more^^^^^^ It's hard to argue with actually seeing the target.
+1, if it's what it takes to be able to see the targets. Great then.

DI5

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not my bag but why not for you? I have an unnatural fear of putting something that costs at least as much as the rifle outside and exposed that is only as good as the mount you put it on and then still doesn't guarantee that everything is ALWAYS going to be the same like iron sights do. I've heard too many headache horror stories. I'm definitely a Keep It Simple, Stupid kinda guy I guess.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have no use for scopes, and I use only iron sights on all my rifles. But it's not as though an M1A is a historical collectible that will be ruined by adding a scope. It's your rifle; do what you think is best.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So I have a NM M1A. A friend gave me the rail system to toss on a scope. I don't know how I feel about adding a scope. I feel as if I am betraying my rifle.... any thoughts?
There's a pretty good reason that most rifles/carbines that our troops carry today have optics. It makes it much easier to place rounds on target, which is the only thing that counts in shooting.

Keep the irons on it, and use a decent scope. You can always remove the scope if you want to stay frosty with the irons.

Edited to add, I have two M1A's, an early Super Match from SAI and an LRB. The SAI sports irons and will always do so, where the LRB has a Burris XTR 1.5-6 in a Sadlak Airborne mount. I like both, but the LRB with scope is much more user friendly for testing handloads and hunting; especially hunting.

There's nothing like being able to see the number of points on a rack or being able to pick out a certain animal in the herd, which is more difficult with irons. Yes you can use binoculars to determine antler points etc., but there is a lag between seeing and shooting, and irons tend to block the periphery and make you focus on something besides the animal, namely the front sight. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Was always curious - as mentioned above, from day 1, the M14 had the receiver set up for a scope mount with the slots and the tapped hole. What was the original plan for this? They had to have something in mind if they designed it for a scope. I assume it was done for sniper use so what was the original mount and scope setup?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate the advice. Maybe I should just do it and test it out. Someone mentioned mounts; well the mount given to me was a G4 springfield armory mount. Have heard a love/hate relationship with it, but can't really argue with free.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,448 Posts
I'd scope it, I love optics on M14s. Only by doing it will you know if you like it, but to answer your question, no you are not betraying your rifle. The M14 has the best iron sights of all the battle rifles in my opinion, just don't take them off.
m14brian

·
Read Only
840 Posts
I'd scope it, I love optics on M14s. Only by doing it will you know if you like it, but to answer your question, no you are not betraying your rifle. The M14 has the best iron sights of all the battle rifles in my opinion, just don't take them off.
m14brian

Putting the CASM mount on seems like a betrayal though. Never liked the idea of that.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts