M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this stock be Leagle in High Power? My wife is showing an interest in shooting. She is not very big and can not get up on the rear sights on my rifle.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Only the A1 and A2 buttstock is legal for Service Rifle in either CMP or NRA matches. She could shoot with it in NRA matches but would be shooting with the Match Rifles.

Eagle 1

Reactions: Jlynn

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
As mentioned it would not meet the correct description for butt stock, but would not let that deter your wife from shooting anyway. Often times local matches and it's "management" will understand such matters and encourage your wife to shoot the match. Really only debate would be if she won the match and you can bet then the "illegal" rifle would be pointed out. I think that would be a great situation to observe.
Hope she wins!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Try an a1, but if that does not work , the colapsable m4 stock I is legal as well, just not what I consider optimal for highpower.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If that stock is not less than 10 inches long it would be legal for CMP Service Rifle. I don't think muti-position stocks are legal as the rule mentions A4 stocks not M4.

However, it's been a long time since I was in the Army and I've never seen an M16A4 so I don't know what those stocks look like.

·
Registered
947 Posts
CMP rule 6.2.3

" An M16A1 rifle (short) butt stock or pistol grip or its commercial
equivalents may be installed in lieu of
the M16A2 or M16A4 butt stock or
pistol grip. A fixed-length aftermarket
stock that reduces the length of pull
to no less than 10 inches may
also be installed on an M16A2 or M16A4
rifle or a commercial equivalent rifl
e. Any aftermarket stock must have
the same external characteristics as
the A2 or A1 stocks except for the
shorter length. Collapsible stocks
of the type used on M16 M4/M4A1
Carbines are not permitted. The same
butt-stock must be used for all
stages of a competition. "

So, "Entry" stocks are legal. Adjustable ones aren't.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ok after looking this is what CMP says for as issued AR series of rifles on buttstocks.

 Butt-stocks may be fixed or telescoping/collapsing, however, if the
rifle has a telescoping/collapsing butt-stock, it must be fixed so that
its length of pull is not changed during an entire course of fire. CMP rule 5.2.2

This interchanges with rule NRA 3.1 (E)
Any rifle or modified rifle no covered by NRA Rule 3.1, but permitted by CMP Rules is considered a service rifle in NRA sanctioned competition.

So to answer your question stock you shown is not legal but telescoping one would be.

And what was posted above is in reference to EIC matches best just to call NRA comp division or shoot them an email.

·
Registered
947 Posts
So to answer your question stock you shown is not legal but telescoping one would be.
The stock is legal in CMP Service Rifle, therefore it is legal in NRA Service Rifle. "As issued" Games rules do not apply. "Entry" stocks are very popular with some juniors and others of shorter stature who don't fit the A2 or A1.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ive seen m4 type stocks on the line at perry during the Presidents and NTI, all being used by very young shooters, never seen a stubby entry stock.
How small is your wife? Mine is 5'4 and shoots an a1 fine, as do most of our smaller juniors. Honestly my wife could probably get away with an a2 if forced to.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive seen m4 type stocks on the line at perry during the Presidents and NTI, all being used by very young shooters, never seen a stubby entry stock.
How small is your wife? Mine is 5'4 and shoots an a1 fine, as do most of our smaller juniors. Honestly my wife could probably get away with an a2 if forced to.
She is only 5'. I had her out this morning with my A2 and it looks like it is about 1.5" to long. I think a A1 stock may work. I'm gonna work with her some more with it and see.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just checked on Brownells website and length is 7 inches, which makes it too short depending on which rule you go by. Now the rule I quoted is from CMP as issued which says you can use a collapsible buttstock. Who knows other than at Perry no one is going to care I wouldn't

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Get a car collapsible. There are ways to lock it solid and I believe (don't quote me) that locking th car stock is legal. Someone else chime in on locking a car stock in position (no wobble)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Get a car collapsible. There are ways to lock it solid and I believe (don't quote me) that locking th car stock is legal. Someone else chime in on locking a car stock in position (no wobble)
CAR stocks should not be legal:

"A fixed-length aftermarket
stock that reduces the length of pull
to no less than 10 inches may
also be installed on an M16A2 or M16A4
rifle or a commercial equivalent rifl
e. Any aftermarket stock must have
the same external characteristics as
the A2 or A1 stocks except for the
shorter length
."

·
Registered
947 Posts
I just checked on Brownells website and length is 7 inches, which makes it too short depending on which rule you go by. Now the rule I quoted is from CMP as issued which says you can use a collapsible buttstock. Who knows other than at Perry no one is going to care I wouldn't
The rule you quoted is from the wrong rulebook. I knew when they split them that this would cause confusion.

This is the one that governs Service Rifle: http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/rulebook.pdf

This is the one that addresses the extremely rare and irrelevent to NRA Highpower "Modern Military" class: http://www.thecmp.org/Competitions/CMPGamesRules.pdf

Again, the "as issued" stuff has nothing to do with this. I know it can be confusing, but the OP asked after Highpower. If CMP allows it in Service Rifle, so does the NRA.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Btw no spelling nazis on all of page one shows real class...

I mean that

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called RRA and was told that their entry level stock would give it a 10 1/4" trigger pull.
She has a car stock on it. When it is set in the first hole in from fully extended it just about works.
How long is an A1 stock?

·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Then NRA needs to update there rules because it is kinda vague and defers to CMP but not which rule book.
The NRA is always vague, but use the "Service Rifle" CMP rulebook for Service Rifle questions. Each CMP rulebook does mention the matches it refers to and governs, but they should not have split them for this exact reason.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts