M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a good night to work on my latest two stocks that I got from Fred's this past week.

I sanded both with 180, 220, then 400. That is about how high that I will take mine.

First coat of one stain on one stock

After the second coat of another stain on the stock to the right, one coat of stain on the stock to the left and the first coat of teak oil to both.

Extra stock storage

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Lookin good! That darker stock is fabulous! Gonna look really good when your done!
Both look good, Circlehook's right the darker one has some outstanding markings.

Reactions: Glashaus

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Lookin good!
Keep us posted on how they turn out! I love the Rack of M14 Stocks you got.

Reactions: Glashaus

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's with the Soviet propaganda poster tavarish(comrade)?
Souvenirs of the Cold War, when Nuclear war was one touch of the button away! I used to work with a bunch of ex Soviets, some of their philosophy is very applicable to our current administration. That particular poster is not really propaganda, it is loosely translated as kinda of like loose lips sinks ships.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is an addiction! Working on stocks as always been kind of like therapy for me. It is something that I really enjoy!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The one on the right had a small crack that I repaired, I think that I got it cheap. The one on the left looks better in person.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Wow - two stock average price $52 with hardware right! [considering the butt plate, rear swivel, frot swivel and liner] that is a steal - they are awesome looking too! The hardware is just about worth that much!

They are going to look fantastic!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fred's has some great stuff! My philosophy is get it while you can! If he ever sells out you will never see these kind of prices on these kind of stocks again!

Reactions: XM25Ren

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the best deals Fred's has is the $25 Vietnam Special that includes the stock with all the metal, a hand guard and a sling. You have got to clean it all up and do some work to the stock, but it really is a good deal.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
One of the best deals Fred's has is the $25 Vietnam Special that includes the stock with all the metal, a hand guard and a sling. You have got to clean it all up and do some work to the stock, but it really is a good deal.
I think they look awesome with just the crud removed and freshly oiled

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a picture of when I opened the box from Fred's that had these two stocks

some more from last night

I will be putting another coat of oil on today.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
It always amazes me to see how you guys transform these M14 stocks from down in the trenches work tools covered in grime to pieces of art that any museum would be proud to display.

Great job!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts