M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this rather interesting ..... :wink:

"I was that which others did not want to be. I went where others feared to go, and did what others failed to do. I asked nothing from those who gave nothing and reluctantly accepted the thought of eternal loneliness should I fail. I have seen the face of terror, felt the stinging cold of fear, and enjoyed the sweet taste of a moments love. But most of all I have lived times others would say were best forgotten. At least some day I will be able to say, I was proud of what I was and always will be............... A United States Marine Scout/Sniper"

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And more words .....

"....consider that Marine Scout/Snipers are required to do the same thing at almost twice the distance (hitting a target at over a quarter mile away), with only one shot and no chance to make adjustments. All this on a mission that may last for days, in any weather, against an enemy trying to kill you like a pesky varmint. It is a bizarre way to make a living, and the men who do it are strange birds. But to an enemy, the M40A1 in the hands of a skilled Marine Scout/Sniper is a hellish weapon, more feared than even a bomber loaded with napalm! It is scary to know that you might be hunted by another man; and this makes it tough to do your job. The overwhelming psychological impact of the sniper helps to explain why the Corps invests so much in maintaining this capability."
Tom Clancy
Author"

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Continued .....

"Sniping is a mysterious art most people ignore because, as Jack Nicholson said in the movie, "they can't handle the truth." But the truth lies in the crosshairs. Snipers are a breed apart. They possess a primordial stalking and killing instinct, one couched in a true loner's diposition. They are the solitary killers of Man's oldest and most intense obsession -- war. It is the sniper team that strikes out alone, depending only on itself, employing its imagination and hard-earned skills to the ominous task of taking out key individual targets in a sea of enemy troops. Snipers observe war from afar through their binos, studying it on their maps, sneaking around it on the fringes, penetrating it silently along a straight-razor; only when ready, do they selectively participate, striking without warning, dumping their unaware prey in the dirt with pinpoint precision, disappearing without a trace. They are as close as good guys can get to being half human, half animal. For all these reasons and more, I am one. Happy shooting".
"Major M. 6/23/98"

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote .....

"man or woman, young or old, my sights are steady, and my trigger cold. walk
or run, laugh or cry your in my A.O., now you die!"

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Additional Reading .....

The sniper is a "work in progress" as are all true professionals in the art of warfare. He is an artist of the highest order in this most demanding of arts. Constantly honing his edge and perfecting his skills to the point of obsession. His profession demands a dedication to excellence that few others ever even consider...some say he is obsessive..almost cultish. Sniping IS a cult, it's a lifestyle, it's our religion. We are what few other people in the world would want to be, and even fewer are capable of. We live in a world of macho ideals and chauvanistic brotherhood. Outsiders are not welcome and those who betray our way of life become outcast. A hard life of extraordinarily high expectations with no allowance or tolerance for failure. Like the wolfpack, snipers are a tight community with a strict pecking order, the pack mentality prevails. It's what keeps us sharp, the knowledge that if we show weakness or incompetence we will suffer the worst fate possible by unwritten but universally understood "pack law." Shame. To shame or dishonor yourself in front of a brother sniper is to suffer vocal ridicule, or much worse...silent rebuke. To lose the respect of your brothers is damnation. That is why we are the best at what we do. Why we will sit for days at a time in the most punishing cold, the sweltering heat, or the pounding rain, fighting the elements and our own fatigue and biting hunger...to take that one shot...the shot that might save the life of one of our brothers. And despite the impossible conditions and handicaps placed on us by circumstance, we WILL put the target down....because that is what we do. That is who we are. Marine Scout Snipers
MB 3/5 '99

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ten-Four ...

Mainly deals with Marine Snipers as I got them from one of their sites but this is not to take "anything" away from all snipers no matter what branch of the service they represent ... :wink:

I have the deepest respect for them ALL ... :wink:

Six

1 - 7 of 7 Posts