M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Well today I finally said those three beeeeeeautiful words "I'll take it". I just got me (gotta wait for the transfer) a MA9103 with SAK barrel for $995!!!!! I'm pumped!!!! \:D/

I'd really really like to thank all youse hawgs that have helped me and given me input on all my pestering posts. In particular I'd like to thank Warbird, Snayper, Quagmire, Fred Smith and M1APreban for all the help via pm and Clayton Smith, Geoff Corn, Ted Brown, Charles Maloney, and the guys at Smith Enterprises for all the help via phone (can you tell I'm a grad student used to research? :oops: )

So now, here's the burning questions....

Where do I get good mags from (at a good price.) Are there any USGI contractors that made better mags than others? Are there any to avoid (I already know to stay FAR away from USA brand).

Assuming I'll have to replace some commercial parts with USGI, I assume I should start with the bolt and trigger group right? Are there any regular sources for these?

As far as stocks go, do I go SixTGunr or Karsten?

For ammo, Aussie or Port?

Slings, Cotton web, or leather?

Anything else?

Once again, THANKS YOU HAWGS!!!!!!!!

Rich

Oh, I almost forgot.............

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Glad you finally settled on one, I think you made a good choice. ;)

Those SAK chrome barrels are hard to find!

For a stock I'd go with Six.
I like port better than aussie (depends on which you rifle likes best though).
I like cotton slings, but the web ones are ok too.

Don't forget the small consumable spares (firing pin, extractor, ejector, trigger & hammer pins, etc...)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congratulations on your new rifle. Youv'e made an excellant choice. Cole distributing (coledistributing.com) still has GI mags for $36.95 each. Buy as many as you can. They are becoming more scarce.

regards,
Gary

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
Trumpet
I finally said those three beeeeeeautiful words "I'll take it".

:lol: :lol: :lol: The next three words in your vocabulary is going to be, now repeat after me "I Need another" 8O
Trumpet congrade sound like you found winner, Enjoy!!!! :p

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Steve k said:
Trumpet
I finally said those three beeeeeeautiful words "I'll take it".

:lol: :lol: :lol: The next three words in your vocabulary is going to be, now repeat after me "I Need another" 8O
Trumpet congrade sound like you found winner, Enjoy!!!! :p

I agree with Steve. They're better than Lays potato chips, ya gotta have more than 1. :lol:

Good to hear ya got a good deal.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Australian ammo is good from what I've read but I recommend the Portugese. Try www.aimsurplus.com for Portugese ammo. I ordered some from them recently. It was a very smooth transaction. For general purposes I suggest the nylon GI sling although it can get slick. If that is a concern go with the web GI sling. For match shooting a Les Tam leather sling gets great reviews.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Trumpet, sounds like you got a keeper. If I wanted more magazines, I would just keep an eye out, they seem to pop up, but like M60 driver said, they are getting scarce and you can't beat Coles. SAK barrel, IMHO, good one. To echo what quagmire said, some of the small parts are also a good idea(nothing like launching an ejector with spring, they are hard to find in tall grass). Welcome to the world of M1A, but I would bet that you will soon have another...Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.