M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a very good deal on a an M1A that has an M14 stock with the selector cut out. The stock literally looks brand new...

I was at a gun shot today looking at springfields with wood stocks, and none of them had an identification mark on it that mine has. Mine has a box with stars and an eagle in it on the left hand side (opposite of the ejection port). Is there a web reference where I can read more about this mark? I was told that it was a mark used on M14s that were made in the 50's, and when I asked if Springfield Armory made reproductions, he didn't know. I did end up finding one that was in worst shape that mine selling for $150.00 at the gun show...

Anyhow, until I find out more about this stock I have pulled it off the gun and replaced it with a synthetic stock that I got for $20.00... it's a bit rough, but fits very nicely, very snug and no play in the barrel or trigger mechanism.

Can somebody point me to directions on how to paint them and what paint to use? I just want to paint it black... I don't like the brown color of it now...

Any information would be greatly appreciated...

Pictures of the M1A I got... now, I don't have a picture of the mark, and these pictures really don't do justice of how good of shape it is in...

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/28826mi_springfield_m1a_6_jpg.jpg

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/28826mi_springfield_m1a_3_jpg.jpg

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/28826mi_springfield_m1a_4_jpg.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I painted a GI fiberglass stock because I wanted to try my hand at creating my own design. I recommend the Krylon Camo series of paint from Walmart. It comes in 4 colors and you can get the primer and cover spray in the same brand that is compatible with each other. Get some sand paper and go for it. I suggest as warm/dry day as possible and allow time between coats. Mine came out better than expected and now others are painting away.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The mark, cartouche on the wood stock is the post war DOD acceptance stamp I believe. Should be there on most USGI stocks. Yours should also have P stameped on the pistol grip.
Common marking for USGI stocks.
Big Red Birch stocks do not have these to my limited knowledge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information so far... I broke out the digital camera and took pictures of the marks.... to make the marks clear, I messed with the balance so the color looks strange on the P mark...

So, would you think this is a real USGI stock? If so, how much would it be worth in perfect condition?

Did they make new "replica" stocks with these marks?

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kind of a non-sequitor... but I got this email from Springfield Armory about the gun itself...

"The rifle is a promotional run we did back in 1996/1997. Your rifle, SN# 100XXX, was manufactured March, 1997. The rifle features: National Match barrel, NM tuned trigger assembly, NM flash suppressor and a GI stock. Unfortunately, there is no specific way to identify or confirm that your GI stock is the same one that went out of our facilities.

Thank you for your interest in our Springfield products.

Customer Service
800-680-6866"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.