M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that this has probably been dealt with in the past, but I skimmed through the old posts for a bit and didn't find anything.
Has anyone ever tried splicing in a piece of wood to fill the selector cutout on walnut GI stocks?
I realize that the seams would show, and the grain would not match exactly. But I have seen repairs done on some old British Enfield stocks that are so well done that they barely show. Especially when they are sanded a little and refinished.
I never hear about anyone doing this on M14 stocks though. Is there a reason for this that I am missing?
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I have seen this done and the patch is very visible, no matter what.

I imagine it could be done better by using a piece of wood from a "donor" stock, but I believe the primary reason it is not done, is that the look of the stock with the divot missing is more acceptable than any fill.

It is more trouble than it is worth. Considering the time you would spend on it, you could buy a new Boyds stock.

TC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
My Armscrop is filled with wood don't know who did it but it looks fine you can barely see the seam. A friend is doing the same with a few he got from Fred's stocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I can think of a few ways to do this that would be better than the ones I have seen. Can you up a pic of yours ...that would be interesting?

TC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to end up filling this one with wood somehow.
I had thought about buying some beater stocks to cut plugs out of too. That'll probably be how I do it.
I've tried plastic wood in stocks before. It shrinks with age.
I was hoping I could benefit from someone else's experience to do it right the first time.
Thanks for the input guys.
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,057 Posts
:D Try a Dummykit from Sparrow Hawk and You are Done, PLUS your Rifle will look like a Real M-14 :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,923 Posts
Aloha DZ86:

My older NM rifles have been done as you are describing. The selector cutout area have been spliced or fitted with a piece of wood to fill the selector void area.

Even done very well, the patch is still visible, but I guess this is an alternative if you want the selector cutout filled, and don't want to use a dummy kit.

Aloha,

Tom O.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I would try it this way...

I wouldn't try to fill that round space, I would cut it rectangular, and then I would try to select a piece of matching wood from another stock, making sure the grain ran the same way. I would fit it as perfectly as I could, leaving a little extra to sand smooth, and glue it with amber resin. If you fit it carefully enough so that the lines of the grain matched, you might be able to create a non-obvious illusion once you had a few coats of oil on it. A little stain on the whole stock before final finish could work wonders.

TC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
The first stock I ever refinished was done this way; I used used some walnut cabinet wood on a walnut stock. It's very noticeable, but for the first one I ever did, I was sorta proud of it. It took a lot of hand sanding and fitting, but hey, what else did I have to do at the time? I will get a pic Monday and try to post it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Awww...c'mon Art....just try a little piece of wood...you can resin it in first and glass bed the action 20 minutes later. Bedding is such a big deal to do correctly, that little part won't add that much additional time and effort.

With the wood plug, that round fill makes it stand out more in a field of straight horizontal grain lines...that's the thinking there. It is also easier to fit with trial and error, and just a piece of sandpaper ...so elaborate machinery wouldn't be necessary either.

I have seen stocks where guys filled the cutout with wood colored glass bedding material about the same shade...and you're right...it ain't pretty, until it was camo painted after.

TC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Hawk is going to post a couple of pix for me of the one I did. It was my first stock ever, and I didn't know much. In hindsight, I would have taken the time to fit it with one piece instead of three. However, with three seperate pieces, I got each one of them to fit exact and tight. The marks in pic 2 are where I dimpled the underside/backside to get them to hold the glue better, but got my dimples up a little too high and when I finish sanded, sanded down to them and they ended up showing. All in all, not bad for my everyday/shooter stock. I'm still working on ideas to photograph my nice tiger to submit for the calendar project! Thanks, Hawk!





Yer Welcome! Hawk
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top