M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

Just received a walnut unfinished handguard for my SAI. After refinishing it, I decided to put the handguard clip on. While I was attempting to put it on, I heard a cracking noise. I then noticed a minor crack on the top of the handguard on the receiver side of the handguard clip at the 12 O'Clock position. It isn't a large crack, does not extend into the wood cutout for the clip. Now, the question, what do I do? Leave it? I don't think it is going anywhere. I think the only thing hurt was my prideful stupidity for causing it.

I could order a new one.

Any suggestion on treatment methods. It is to small to inject any glue in. I could remove a little wood on the underneath and jbweld it.

KS Shooter

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
With wood handguards, this does happen more often than you think.

When you "lightly" squeeze the handguard (towards the receiver), will the crack "open up" (even if just a tad)? Have care checking on this.

If so, I would put glue into the crack to help keep the crack from continuing to the end of the handguard. Carpenter's glue or even Crazy glue should work. Do not worry about getting a little on the outside of the crack, this can be sanded off as needed.

When this is completed, I would check the handguard with the handguard clip. It sounds like the handguard may be a bit too wide and putting the handguard clip on might have started the crack. If so, patience and a file or Dremel should take care of any adjustments you might need.

Good luck.

Tom O.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
dighawaii,

yes, if I apply enough pressure I can see the small crack. the only way to put glue would be a razor blade or needle, that is why I thought about the jbweld on the underneath side. it isn't even cracked all the way through to the bottom. now the handguard appeared a little long - just checking. if necessary, I could remove wood from the receiver side and with the end glued, it might have plenty of strength.

thanks for your input.

KS Shooter

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Slightly spread open crack, apply Superglue from the underneath side. Hold piece until it sets. Superglue is thin enough it will run into the crack
I have repaired many Garand handgaurds this way

1 - 6 of 6 Posts