M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Published: March 2, 2016.

VIENNA (AP) – One Austrian police station has dodged an explosive situation.
The police station in Eisenstadt, east of Vienna, was evacuated Tuesday after a woman walked in with a live tank shell in her hand.
A police statement Wednesday says the shell was exploded without incident after experts transported it to a nearby sandpit. But they have issued a warning to all not to touch or pick up anything that could be ordnance left over from World War II.
The statement says the woman who brought in the shell told police her son had found it over six months ago – and they had been storing it in their garage ever since.

GI3

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
If that had happened in London, she'd be in prison for the possession.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
This happens all the time here with snowbirds. You can't help but laugh

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
We were headed to chow one day at Bagram & came across two Haji's INSIDE the wire with not one but (count them) THREE Russian tank rounds! They brought them in for the reward (The key word here is IN) When we got over by the MP station we told them about it & they called the UXO boys to ride out & pick them up. We were told they bring stuff in all the time & get paid. I said "Yeah, but HOW do they get IN"? MP just shrugged & said "They do it all the time".USN4 I feel safe...

·
Registered
271 Posts
That sounds like a government entity is in charge of security.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not unusual. My dad kept a live Japanese knee mortar round in the basement for 60-years. I finally gave it to an EOD person for disposal.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
When I was a street cop, I was dispatched to a woman's house in reference to a possible grenade. Her husband, a WWII and Korea vet, had recently passed away, she was going through his stuff and found a genuine Mk 2 fragmentation grenade.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I know it's hard to believe, but this stuff happens in Europe all the time. When I say "All the Time" I mean on a more regular basis than it ever would here.

There is an entire hobby over in Europe that revolves around hunting down and digging up old WWII battle sights. Very few of them are protected.

I had a military college professor, who became a personal friend later in life, who would tell stories about it while he was the CO in the 1/75 Rangers in the late 70's. There was an entire WWII German Bunker / Storage Vault that was flooded after the German's gave up the position. You could look in the window of the door and see water almost level with the top. No one would mess with it at the time he was there, because it was kind of a novelty, and it was feared to be booby trapped with enough ordinance to remove that hill off the map. BGRIN1

At any rate, Google it on the net, and you will see the hours of pics of people digging up entire tanks and vehicles in the mud. Some interesting stuff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I was a street cop, I was dispatched to a woman's house in reference to a possible grenade. Her husband, a WWII and Korea vet, had recently passed away, she was going through his stuff and found a genuine Mk 2 fragmentation grenade.
That happens here 3-4 times a year. The funny ones are the ones where the people insist that we give them back after we "defuse" them. They have the strangest look on their face when i tell them there wont be anything left after i finish with it.

CC

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
See,you just can't have a peaceful shift, there you are,the radio is uncharacteristically quiet, you decide to have a nice hot cup of coffee..........................then BAM!!!! Out of nowhere a lady walks in and slams a HEAT round on your desk causing spilled coffee and trousers full of poo!!

Reactions: true canadian

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
See,you just can't have a peaceful shift, there you are,the radio is uncharacteristically quiet, you decide to have a nice hot cup of coffee..........................then BAM!!!! Out of nowhere a lady walks in and slams a HEAT round on your desk causing spilled coffee and trousers full of poo!!
this happened in Yuma but with an old landmine. a couple of snowbirds decided to go rockhounding up hwy 95. that entire area is littered with uxo from when patton was training his guys. well they found the mine and decided to turn it in to ypg. lol it turned out it was a live landmine. the building was cleared and ypg eod came and demoed it. this stuff happens every year.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
this happened in Yuma but with an old landmine. a couple of snowbirds decided to go rockhounding up hwy 95. that entire area is littered with uxo from when patton was training his guys. well they found the mine and decided to turn it in to ypg. lol it turned out it was a live landmine. the building was cleared and ypg eod came and demoed it. this stuff happens every year.
that's funny stuff.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
it is but could be fatal. there was another story in the local news where a woman was digging in her yard in ypg housing and dug up a round. if I remember correctly it was an anti tank round of sorts but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
This was told to me by my friend "Tim", a 24+ year veteran Special Forces senior NCO. During an Inspector General audit at the Group's barracks, the inspectors noticed that some of the suspended ceiling tiles in the hallway were sagging. The NCO with them said that repair requests had been sent in, but that the repairs hadn't been scheduled yet. That seemed to satisfy the inspectors until they noticed sagging ceilings in another barracks. While up on another floor, one of the inspectors went down and pulled a chair out into the hallway, stepped up and lifted a panel to see just what was going on. When he did that, everything up there fell out onto the floor. Small arm ammo up to .50 BMG, hand grenades (US, NATO and Soviet), RPG warheads and launchers, LAWs, 106mm recoilless rounds, explosives, C-4, TNT, Dynamite, det cord and blasting caps, Claymores, mines, booby traps and more! Needless to say, the whole area was cleared, EOD called and over10,000 rounds of ammo and 1500 pounds of explosives were taken out of four barracks! 58 full-auto firearms and 42 other types off the record were also found! Seems the IG was a "no warning" inspection so the troops hid everything in the ceilings hoping nobody would look up there. "Tim" didn't say what happened afterwards, only that they lost over five years worth of scrounged "stuff" in one day.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
This happens all the time here with snowbirds. You can't help but laugh
For sure! There are UXOs dating back to the 1880s lying around all over the desert - anything from unexploded dynamite and blasting caps to aerial rockets and bombs - and everything in between. The snowbirds ignore the "Danger! Unexploded Ordnance" signs and ride their quads around the barriers and gates, and turn up all kinds of stuff. Frequently they find UXOs that nobody knew about previously!

The Army trained 7 divisions (with live ammo) in this area during WWII, and they never cleaned up behind themselves. Only areas that were designated for permanent occupation were cleared of UXOs before construction began. Shortly after I arrived here at YPG, the command decided to sweep an area directly outside the housing area, where a designated walking trail was located. It took them six months to complete their sweep, and they discovered hundreds of UXOs!

A good rule in this area is 'if YOU didn't drop it, don't pick it up!'

·
Administrator
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts