M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 145gr FMJ Wolf WPA Polyformance Ammo safe to use in the M1A ? I've read pros and cons . I guess maybe bringing along the old bore brush and ratchet it a few times would not hurt . I know it's got a reputation for being a little dirty .

Rich USMC-1

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
I do not recommend corrosive ammunition on this Forum or brands that are labeled with Animals or Metals. They were never manufactured for a semi-auto gas operated battle rifle, but for American Eagle (FC) ammunition.

DI5

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Is the 145gr FMJ Wolf WPA Polyformance Ammo safe to use in the M1A ? I've read pros and cons . I guess maybe bringing along the old bore brush and ratchet it a few times would not hurt . I know it's got a reputation for being a little dirty .

Rich USMC-1
Avoid.

Buy these instead
http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-w...0-fmj-bt-145-grain-ammo-prvi-partizan-pp768mc

http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-7...grain-fmj-hirtenberger-surplus-ammo-1970s-vin

http://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...l-gold-medal-match-168-grain-bthp-ammo-gm308m

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I am not a fan of Steel Cased ammo in a M1A.

With the violent extraction of the case from a M1A, it is really made to be used with brass cased ammo.

For that matter... IMHO, steel cased is best used in a more tapered chamber, like a 7.62x39 or a lower pressure pistol round.

And ... I do feel that the level of quality control with steel cased ammo is lower then other readily available, better QC ammo.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Usually when there are pros and cons pertaining to ammo it means that one or more person has seen damage done or at least sub par performance (cons), and others just have never used it or haven't used enough of it to notice the damage done, or just don't care cause it's cheap or whatever (pro).
If one guy tells me steel cased ammo wrecked his chamber, then to me, that makes steel cased ammo very questionable and I won't use it. Not with steel cases but I learned this lesson the hard way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took your advise TheShooter . Going to break it in with some
7.62x51 M80 FMJ-BT 145 Grain Ammo By Prvi Partizan . Getting here Friday so I'll have a little time to finish the work on the stock . I have used Prvi-Partizan ammo in my 7mm Mauser and it worked well . Thanks for the suggestions .

Rich

·
Registered
964 Posts
Save the steel-cased ammo for those Commie guns that were designed for it. The SVT 40 has a fluted chamber for steel cases and my chrome-lined barreled AK's get it. Never have nor will my American firearms ever see steel cases. I think the Com-bloc countries like it because steel is cheaper and easier(?) to manufacture than blending copper and zinc in the right proportions.

Wolf does make brass-cases ammunition with non-corrosive primers but I don't trust their metallurgy and I don't want to invite a case head separation. All brass is not created equal. Buy quality and reload, or as I prefer to call it, "custom match-prepared re-manufactured ammunition".

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
If not for wear, does a steel case seal properly in the chamber when fired?
If not then it wouldn't reliable.
Also other than the chamber wear issue, if the case didn't seal the chamber, your burning the bolt too I'd say.

This question I have shows how much I care if steel cased ammo is any good. I know very little about cheap ammo in a m14.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Doug, I think the steel in the barrel is much harder than the soft iron alloy cases. Look at AKs that have a life of 20 or 30 thousand rounds using soft iron alloy cases.
I agree on the chamber being harder of the two but I always recall this Lucky Gunner article about M4-types and steel case (lots of pictures so it held my interest ICONEEK). For me it was like seeing the movie Jaws and then going to the beach. I have flashbacks to the LG article whenever I hear of steel case ammo in a high end or accurate gun. Granted the article is about some abusive use but it left an impression on me like a giant 25' shark swimming up from dark depths!

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.