M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand the Standard weight match barrel has a different profile from the gas cylinder to the chamber, but is the barrel the same size as a GI tube from the gas cylinder to the flash hider? I am interested in a picture of a GI barrel and a Wolfe Standard profile match barrel side by side. I think I want to put one of these barrels on the Bula receiver I have coming but I do not want the overall outward appearance of the rifle to look different than a regular standard rifle.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Unless I'm reading something wrong in your question,,, a "standard weight, national match" barrel is exactly the same profile as a standard issue GI barrel all the way from the chamber to the muzzle.
The difference is the NM barrel will not be chrome lined and may be cut to tighter tolerances inside. Someone else may chime in to add the tolerance.
Both barrels in this picture are USGI, both are 1962 dated, both are Springfield Armory. The top one is a "standard profile" national match barrel. The drawing number on that barrel is the correct number for a NM barrel. HTH

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I just went to Jon's site and see what you are talking about. It looks like the difference will be hidden under your hand guard.

·
Super Moderator
11,164 Posts
Unless I'm reading something wrong in your question,,, a "standard weight, national match" barrel is exactly the same profile as a standard issue GI barrel all the way from the chamber to the muzzle.
The difference is the NM barrel will not be chrome lined and may be cut to tighter tolerances inside. Someone else may chime in to add the tolerance.
Both barrels in this picture are USGI, both are 1962 dated, both are Springfield Armory. The top one is a "standard profile" national match barrel. The drawing number on that barrel is the correct number for a NM barrel. HTH
I forget the straightness spec is but off the top of my head the NM bore diameter is .3075-.3085 and the land is .295-.305 max.... When I get home I will double check.

Reactions: 3Gunnah

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
I understand the Standard weight match barrel has a different profile from the gas cylinder to the chamber, but is the barrel the same size as a GI tube from the gas cylinder to the flash hider? I am interested in a picture of a GI barrel and a Wolfe Standard profile match barrel side by side. I think I want to put one of these barrels on the Bula receiver I have coming but I do not want the overall outward appearance of the rifle to look different than a regular standard rifle.
I'll get a picture up later today. I've got one in the safe on Wes Howe's rifle. The barrel maintains 1.1" for about 3 or 4 inches. This is to give it more surface area to hold in barrel vises. Anything forward of that is GI profile.

Tony.

·
Super Moderator
11,164 Posts
I forget the straightness spec is but off the top of my head the NM bore diameter is .3075-.3085 and the land is .295-.305 max.... When I get home I will double check.
Sorry I was off, the land is .300-.301 and straight too 0*2'23"

Reactions: 3Gunnah

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
All M14 barrels, even the super heavy ones, are the same thickness from gas cylinder to flash hider.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All M14 barrels, even the super heavy ones, are the same thickness from gas cylinder to flash hider.
I thought so but I was not sure based on the description on the website!

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
From bottom to top

original standard weight profile
New SAI standard weight profile
Wolfe modified standard weight 5R barrel
Traditional medium weight barrel

Tony.

Attachments

·
Registered