M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I'm thinking on buying some Wolf Ammo, The question I have is, Has anyone used this ammo, and have you had any problems with polymer coated casings? I noticed this is relatively cheap ammo. But i don't want to buy this ammo if theirs any problems with extraction. Any feedback will be appreciated.AIRASLT

·
Administrator
18,169 Posts
Research, the only good game in town anymore......

I would not fire Russian (steel case or other) ammunition in American rifles.DI5

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
XXIV Corps has it right. Check the ammo bunker for some really good milsurp. Prices seem to be moderating somewhat.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Your call

In my opinion you wont find many "Russian ammo" guys on this site. Also IMO it's cause when most these guys were active duty we were in the cold war, so ANYTHING Russian is a NONO...

Sorry fella's no disrespect intended..

There was a time when I was in college when I could only afford wolf ammo or nothing at all.......I personally have fired THOUSANDS of rounds of Wolf out of all my guns.
9mm,40,45 ACP, 223, 308. I have only had one case seperation in my M1A, which was ok cause I learned to use my broken case extractor, and 15 seconds later I was back to blasting away some more paper.....

I also reload the steal cases, or at least have done so just to see if I could do it. Thats another post however..

I would rather fire Wolf than nothing at all, BUT I would rather fire better ammo if I could afford it.

I have had much better luck with Wolf than mag-tech which wont even cycle my M1A.

In summary I would rather fire the wolf than not practice at all, but I would rather shoot american if I could afford to.

It's dirty, smokey, and smelly, but thats much better than not shooting at all.....

Just my opinion.......simmer down Marines....:)

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Very bad for M14 type of rifles.

I've shot over 3K of Wolf type ammo in my AR platform rifles with zero problems. Not as accurate as most brass cased ammo but much more cost effective.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Very bad for M14 type of rifles.

I've shot over 3K of Wolf type ammo in my AR platform rifles with zero problems. Not as accurate as most brass cased ammo but much more cost effective.
would you please explain why it is very bad for M14 type of rifles?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
would you please explain why it is very bad for M14 type of rifles?
When I first bought my Socom16, Academy (sporting goods store) had their store branded Monarch .308 ammo on sale... I bought 200rds, not realizing it was steel-cased.

As far as functioning, I had 3 FTF's with the steel cased stuff, the bolt could not strip off the next round from the magazine. I'm assuming it was related to the poly or laquer coating they put on it, maybe the heat melted it or something... I don't really know. I've not had FTF's with any brass-cased ammo otherwise, ever.

As far as accuracy, it was the 2nd worst I fired (Indian OFV was the worst, Santa Barbara came in 3rd over the Monarch,) so no brownie points there...

And the muzzle brake on the Socom shot a 1' (that's one FOOT!) flame up out of the brake. From the vantage point behind the receiver it looked like it was blowing flame out of the breech... very unnerving. I had an observer watch as I shot it and we determined it was muzzle blast. No other ammo, even my handloads using IMR3031 and some of the funky surplus I have fired, has blown flame like that out of the brake; it is absolutely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

So, that is why I don't shoot steel-cased ammo out of my M1a. GI6

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Steel on steel.
please quantify your statement, the wolf ammo is polymer coated, steel never contacts steel. from my own experience,comparing my AR15 and my friends, all ive ever fired has been reloaded brass casings, all he's ever fired has been wolf polymer coated ammo. i have bore scope both rifles and they have approx the same exact # of rounds ( right around 4000rnds) through them, and there is not one iota of difference of wear to the chamber, bolt face, or extractor between the two rifles. i guess i want to hear more along the lines of the wolf .308 is loaded with an innapropriate powder, or something along those lines, because IMO the "steel on steel" doesnt hold water as a reason.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I would have to agree that the steel case is much softer than the barrel's steel chamber. I do believe that the powder/primer configuration is more to blame for the problems that many have had with Wolf and other steel cased 7.62X51 ammo.

But, hey, if you feel that you need to try it out do so and give us a range report.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
I've used the stuff in M14, M16, and AK47 with no problems, however, I've really decided to keep it aside for emergency. If one keeps an eye out constantly you can find deals, mostly it will be on bulk ammo. I've found some good deals at LuckyGunner. com, they are about the only people I deal with anymore.

-

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
turbotype87, it only takes about 10mins on this forum to research all you need to know about Wolf ammo. Case separations are not OK, steel on steel is not OK, some kind of strange coating is not OK, excessively dirty and smoky is not OK, long flames shooting out the barrel is not OK. Buy some good cheap nato surplus and be done with it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
put 500+ rounds through mine at a carbine course with LRBm25/ mccann stock no problems. used an aimpoint h-1 on rail handled pretty good on 2 point sling.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If one was to buy Wolf ammo, why not spend a teeny bit more and get German DAG? Best price I could find on Wolf is about $170/500rd, or 34 cents a round. DAG goes for about 40 cents a round, and is brass. Could potentially recoup some of that cost too through recycling at the local solid waste depot. Might be able to get $5+ per 200 spent in a battle pack.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Hello All, I'm thinking on buying some Wolf Ammo, The question I have is, Has anyone used this ammo, and have you had any problems with polymer coated casings? I noticed this is relatively cheap ammo. But i don't want to buy this ammo if theirs any problems with extraction. Any feedback will be appreciated.AIRASLT
I avoid Wolf,Silver Bear,Brown Bear and Barnaul Ammo in my 14s,I will only use it in my Soviet designed, Loose Toleranced Weapons such as SKS and AK 47s, I do Gamble some like Poker or Black Jack, but I don't shoot Craps, there is too much Luck involved with that!
Read This:
http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=78951&highlight=Wolf+Ammo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts