M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, while rummaging through my gun safe I came across three boxes of Wolf 7.62 x 51, 150 grain. I didn't remember buying this stuff and the price tag on each box was $5.00. In any event, I decided to shoot it up at the range today. I fired 40 of the rounds (two boxes) and gave the other box to my brother to shoot. I did him no favors. The first ten round mag I fired had two rounds that just wouldn't detonate and six spent casings that wouldn't eject. I spent more time fooling with the spent casings than I did shooting. In the second mag, I had pretty much the same experience, plus I had one round eject minus the primer. Apparently, Wolf has discovered a way to decap a round by merely firing it. I later found the spent primer on the ground. Prior to firing this stuff I did fire both some other factory loads and some of mine. They all worked fine, so I'm assuming the troubles weren't with my rifle or the mags.

Oddly, the stuff didn't do too badly once I got it to fire. The photo is of 30 rounds I shot at one particular target and it was all at 100 yards.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I guess Im Jaded Wolf SUCKS, Ive tried it twice with 223 andonce with 40 SW, all three times were pretty much the same as your experience. Cases STUCK in the chamber or rounds not firing. I will never use that stuff again, just my .02 cents

·
Registered
751 Posts
My Norinco M14S shoots the Wolf and Tula steel cased stuff all day long, out of its chrome lined chamber and bore. The non-chromed Criterion barrels in the other rifles don't like it so much, and it gives frequent failures to extract, even with perfectly clean, dry chambers.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
There are quite a few threads about the quality of Wolf ammo. Just like anything else you can buy, you get what you pay for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.