M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still collecting parts for my LRB m14, and still trying to decide on a barrel. What do you all think is the best all around rate of twist. I will be shooting a lot of surplus stuff, but I allso want good accuracy with match and hunting ammo in around 165gr bullets. What was the original rate of twist on m14s? What is the rate of twist on the LRB barrels? ( Its Sunday and I cant call them right now) Krieger only addvertises 1 in 10. What do you all think :?:

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I would do a 1/12 that will give you good results for 150-168 gr, altough you could get away with a 1/11. Standard USGI are 1/12
Hope this helps
SHADOW

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
My Douglas 4 groove 1 in 10 twist barrels shoot everything from 147 grain ball to 168 grain Sierra HPBT very accurately. They definitely shoot the 147 grain ball more accurately than 6 groove 1 in 10 twist barrels.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D A 1in10 is the Best for all around Shooting , it will handle any Bullet! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,816 Posts
Barrel twist

Among competition shooters, the prefered twist has always been 1:10". This twist gives the best accuracy with the gratest range of bullet weights.
It also works better at keeping a bullet stabile out to ranges of 1000 yards. Most shooters can get by with the 1:12" twist when shooting military bullets. The sierra 175 gn. Match King was designed to be shot in a 1:12" twist to duplicate the ballistics of the old M118 173 gn. bullet.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
The only bullets my 1-12 twist barrel had trouble with was the VLD bullets. If I was to buy a medium or heavy barrel, I would probably go with the 1-10 or 1-11 twist. I hand load and like to shoot the 135grn Noslers at shorter ranges, out to 300yrds. They are super accurate in my service barrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.