M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm supposed to have a buyer tomorrow for my semi-auto MG42. Only reason I'm selling is I found a Springfield Armory Supermatch this weekend. Seller says it came from the custom shop in '86. It has a blued receiver, oprod and trigger group, as well as two blued 20 round mags. The barrel is polished stainless with a standard sized high gloss laminated stock and handguard. The bolt is TRW. Now for the questions. Anyone here ever seen a blued receiver or a rifle in such configuration? Also, would anyone know what stainless barrels were used back then? Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Memphis, just trying not to count my chickens before the egg is hatched. The purchase is contingent upon the sale.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Yes Good Luck
Please Keep us Posted

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the sale went through and I should pick up my SM tomorrow. The buyer was probably the nicest gentleman I've had the pleasure to meet and a true M1A fan and former competitive shooter. He was generous enough to allow me to view some of his collection and man it was better than Christmas! The icing on the cake was getting to fondle a select-fire M1A. Anyway, I'll try to post pics soon.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Yea, glad it worked out for you. Like the way you said "fondle" a select fire. I think it would be the same for me. Like doing something you really aren't allowed. FRG1

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I kinda like avoided my wife for awhile when I got home. But she knew.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Yeah, I kinda like avoided my wife for awhile when I got home. But she knew.
Remember This is a "Family" Forum !!!

(But I Know What You Mean!)

GITEN GITEN GITEN

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm supposed to have a buyer tomorrow for my semi-auto MG42. Only reason I'm selling is I found a Springfield Armory Supermatch this weekend. Seller says it came from the custom shop in '86. It has a blued receiver, oprod and trigger group, as well as two blued 20 round mags. The barrel is polished stainless with a standard sized high gloss laminated stock and handguard. The bolt is TRW. Now for the questions. Anyone here ever seen a blued receiver or a rifle in such configuration? Also, would anyone know what stainless barrels were used back then? Thanks!
Bruce Woodford who worked at Rock Island Arsenal and was as an armorer in the (USAR?) van at Camp Perry shot a polished and blued rifle. I believe it was a Winchester M-14 NM, not an M1A.

That is a fine looking rifle. The only laminated stocks like that (1/2" laminations) I ever saw were on smallbores and were made by Roy Dunlap.

As to the SS barrel, Kreiger and Obermeyer were around back then.

Al Freeland had a presentation grade M1 Garand in his shop. It was given to him by USAF Gen Curtis Lemay. The stock was blond, looked like maple, and it had been mirror polished and blued. Man was that gorgeous.

Regards

Jim

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bad thing is FPEEL, she forgave me the first two times but this is #4!

Thanks for the comments guys; Jim thanks for the info. I was wondering if this rifle was unusual. It was originally ordered for a doctor in our area and only has ten rounds fired through her. Been a safe queen ever since. Kinda cool that the last digits of the SN are 308.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts