M14 Forum banner

Wish I hadn't gotten started with this, but

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Earthquake 
#1 ·
A buddy of mine has a really nice chromed Colt Python. He dropped it a while back and broke the spur of the hammer. Yes there was alcohol involved.
He got a new hammer and had it chromed. I let myself get talked into changing it out for him. I had a little trouble because the chrome got in some pin holes in the new hammer. Any way when I got it back together the hammer will not stay cocked. You can shoot it by pulling he trigger thru, but it will not stay back. Also it seems to have a fairly light pull to the trigger. Any idea's. This is a really sweet pistol and I hate that it didn't work right. I took it back apart as far as I had to the install and did not see any thing wrong.

#3 ·
As six clicks said, there are some videos on Youtube that should do the trick. The ones I see are almost half an hour long so they should be detailed enough to show what you didn't do.

#10 ·
Memphis Machinists is way more skilled to do the job than I am. I'm just a hobbyist who's gotten lucky so far (and not so lucky other times). He actually HAS training and experience with things I can only dream of! GI2

Thanks for the +1, though.

Tony.

#5 ·
Yea I watched some of these before I took it apart. I can't imagine that something else slipped while we had it apart. I can't give it back like this. Plus I am going to take it out and put a few rounds downrange while I have it. Thanks for the ideas.

#8 ·
Pythons were all hand fitted, your friend's mistake was chroming the hammer before finding one that could be fitted. This is really work for an experienced gunsmith, not saying you can't do it, but it might take a few different hammers to find one that works in that particular python.

Are you sure the revolver is chromed and not nickel plated? I hope your friend learned from his experience, drinking and firearms don't play well. Damaging a Colt Python because you were drinking merits a ass kicking also!

#12 ·
I thought the same thing about the nickel. I know the hammer is chromed because he bought it blued and had it chromed. I will say that it matches perfectly. After hearing these stories about fitting I feel better. I thought I had screwed up somewhere.

I find no fault with him for dropping it while drunk. If you have never had to put away a firearm because you knew you were too drunk to handle it, you either don't drink much or don't carry.

This is a very beautiful pistol IMHO. Wood grips. When you close the cylinder it feels like a vault door. It has a very smooth feel to it and very well balanced. Maybe he will just sell it to me. GI3

Edit: I know I am not a gunsmith, but having worked behind a lot of them, I wish they knew they are not machinists.

#11 ·
Personally I would use some fine lapping compound and a snice flat stone to take that stupid aftermarket chrome off or at least enough for it to clear. That's strange to chrome a hammer. Does it also have ivory grips with the saint marry on it with a gold plated frame? Just messing but some people and their guns sheesh

#15 ·
MM, Colt Pythons are fitted like a fine Swiss watch. Takes some skill and hand fitting by a knowlegable person. Personally I'd call Colt CS and see if you can't send it in to be corrected/fitted properly and have Colt's blessing on it afterwards. It would sure be a shame if after you "fixed" it and it caused an AD afterwards, and somebody got hurt. I've sent my Python to have some work done and all it cost me was shipping one way. dozier

#21 ·
I would rather shoot a chromed Python then a gold plated Desert Eagle!

The best looking nickeled plated hand gun I have ever seen was a Colt Trooper MkIII and I am not a colt fan, S&W all the way.

Casey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.