M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I owned a Bushmaster, never had a problem. Lately I've been thinking about getting another AR to keep my RRA company. I recall reading some articles a while back about Windham and how they came about. I just never hear anyone talking about them.

Do any of you own or have experience with their line?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I've got a couple. Never an issue. I can't say I've got more than about 500 rounds out of either, but they seem to like just about any load I throw at em. Also have a fried that bought one, and he is extremely pleased. The buffer tubes are commercial, so keep that in mind should you want to upgrade the stock on the carbine models.

I'm not much of one for the ARs, but I've been pleased. The wife loves hers(there isn't a safe varmint or woodchuck within 100 yards of the back porch). If you want a lot of custom features, build your own. If you're looking for a decent quality rack grade(or if any of the models suit you-they've got quite the selection), Windham is the way to go. They back them up with a full lifetime warranty also.

I would not hesitate to buy another (been eying their .308 version).

The ones we have are the SRC (Sight Ready Carbine) and HBC (Heavy Bbl Carbine). Both of which have chrome lined barrels.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts are I'll get on with some of the basic accessories that I want and then later if I decide to change/add to it.

I'm in a urban area so if needed, a carbine length would most likely be needed and a AR fits the bill plus factor in if I have a issue with the primary AR a second is a conveinent alternative Though I do tend to shoot the M14's about 75% of the time and not much beats the 7.62/308

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My thoughts are I'll get on with some of the basic accessories that I want and then later if I decide to change/add to it.
That was my approach. I'll be honest, I really didn't know much about the platform until the wife got hers. After that, I decided to pick one up. I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
My brother bought one and loves it. I don't have any experience with one, so all I can go by is his opinion.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I initially had handled one and really liked it and took the afternoon to think about it and it was gone so I asked them if they could order it and was going to be like $20 S/H so I went to another shop to shop around and ended up getting a Spikes Carbine but I would have had no regrets getting the WW as the fit/finish and quality seemed top notch

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Have an WW "MPC" model, basically an civilian M-4 the configuration the military uses, they do have a commercial stock tube, but it does the job. Mine has been reliable and does 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups with my elbows rested on the bench and the Burris M-Tac 1-4.5x scope on it at 100yds.

Keep in mind though if you want to use 75 or 77gr it is the civie 1-9 twist like most civie AR's.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I bought an R16A4T a couple of months ago after visiting Windham’s website. I had been considering buying an AR type rifle for about 3 years. I did a lot of research; I had looked at Colt and Bushmaster. Colt’s website provides minimal information. Bushmaster’s website was a maze with so many models, having to drill down to find the correct model was a real chore. Finally, my needs and wants changed. Originally, I wanted a 24” barrel because I was accustomed to buying long barreled rifles. I still found myself wanting an AR. I looked at the R16M4LHRFTs. I liked the Diamond Head rear sight. As I read the specifications on the website, I saw it had an M4 barrel. That seems to be the most common profile on ARs these days. As I see it, the thinnest part of the barrel is also its weakest. Not being familiar with AR15 barrel profiles, I started looking for barrel descriptions. There it was, right in the catalog! “Heavy Barrel Profile & M4 Barrel Profile Comparison...” Being a target shooter and since I don’t have a grenade launcher and don’t have any plans to obtain one, I decided that the heavy barrel was for me. I also reconsidered the rear sight and figured the A4 Carry Handle with the 300 – 600 m rear sight would be more suitable. I bought one. Done deal!

Later on, just in case, I also bought a ProMag AR-15/M16 Delta Style Scope Mount PM002 that fits into the carry handle. It’s a perfect fit and I can still use the iron sights.

Since then, I have replaced the stock and handguard with a Slidefire OGR and handguard. I haven’t had a chance to test them but the fit is good.

Bottom line, Windham makes top of the line products.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Got one. You can't much argue about the skill and expertise of the Windham staff. Mine has run fine and is accurate, but thanks to the ammo panics that occurred around the time I bought it, I've never really felt able to fully shoot it in (which I would consider at least 1500 rounds). I did find it was a little extra magazine sensitive at first but I think I proved that was the fault of the mag in question (mags here are pinned, which creates issues).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Configurations are so diverse and each company mimics others these days HOWEVER the Windham story is what is enticing me on my next purchase.

Colt is cool and all but these guys kinda have the small town, Americana flair about them. After Bushmaster was bought out, their "new" owners moved the co. away from the area laying off and killing a few jobs. Once legal to compete, the owner got the old band back together re-created jobs and (I think) actually improved his product.

Maybe I'm a softie but I like even how their website shows real people instead of a short spec on what their product is. I'd like to believe those Windham bio's would provide a little personal accountability which might insure a good product to be proud of.

I have a couple of RRA's for those same reasons but Windham sure looks good. If they can compete with the RRA nm, I'm going there next.

Speaking of personal accountability, I'm Josh Newton from Plano, TX and I approve this message!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
All I really know about the WW ARs is I want one just because I saw one on an Appleseed poster and I loved the wood furniture on them. That's all, nothing else to offer. Sorry.

Speaking of personal accountability, I'm Josh Newton from Plano, TX and I approve this message!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
WW Ar's are extremely well made. One of their Rifle Builders Eric Winter, (twaits),is a member on the Colt Forum. He is very helpful and knowledgeable. I have a Bushmaster (BFI) that he built prior to the buy out of Freedom/Remington. It's still unfired in the AR15A2 HBAR configuration that Colt use to offer, (R6600 Green Label). I think it is one of the finest rifles built with quality materials.

The reason it's unfired, is because I have others and I would like to sell this one.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The problem with WW and so many other "assemblers" of AR's is the source of their parts. Not necessarily the major parts but the many small ones that make up the rifle. Unless the assembler puts the effort into ensuring that what they are building with are of the proper quality and not just the cheapest they can purchase they will not put out a consistently good quality product. Bushmaster when it was run by the WW folks developed a very bad reputation for putting out sub-standard rifles. Their issue with improperly staked gas keys is well known and reminds me of the GM ignition switch problem, a problem that is so easy to fix at little or no cost why don't you fix it?
I guess my point is some seem to take great pride in buying the cheapest hobby grade AR they can find, putting a few hundred rounds through it and bragging about how this proves it's just as good as more expensive brand X. I don't agree with this philosophy, don't think any AR should be just a range toy and believe any AR worth owning should be capable remaining functional for many thousands of rounds and be able to handle high firing rates even if never needed to do so. With so many duty grade AR's available that have a much chance of being able to do this going with a hobby grade to save a couple hundred bucks makes no sense. But that's just my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts