M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of years back, I picked up a Windham Weaponry A1 Government /WW-15. And despite it's title, it has a hodgepodge of A1 and A2 features (none of which include, unfortunately, the ability to go full-auto 馃槩 ).

Best I can tell, its "A1" features include:
  • Front sight adjustable in elevation only;
  • Rear sight, adjustable for windage, having a dual aperture which can be flipped for shorter and longer distances;
  • Triangular insulated hand guards;
  • Flash suppressor; and
  • Tear-drop forward-assist button.
Whereas the "A2" features include:
  • Butt stock;
  • Brass deflector;
  • Heavier profile chrome-lined barrel (i.e., non-pencil barrel) with 1:7 twist;
I've also seen these referred to as the "Vietnam" style rifles (though admittedly I don't think any in this exact configuration ever existed at that time). I liked the "throw-back" look to it, and it was something different than all the other M4-gery offerings that seemed to be all over the place.

Well, couple weeks ago, another showed up here locally. I'm a big believer in two is one, one is none, so.... I got the price down to what I paid for the first one, so all things being equal, I thought it was a bargain in our current price-inflated times. Seller said that he hadn't fired it before, and after looking it over, I found no reason not to believe him. I installed a LaRue Tactical MBS-2S trigger (just like the first one). Took it to the range last week and put about 50 rounds through it. Encountered a few problems, such as failure-to-feed and failure-to-fire (light strike on primer). I chalked this up being "brand new" and also the BCG having a bit too much oil. Brought it back, gave her a good cleaning, and now she's ready to finish off her breaking-in period (next time I get to the range).

Here are some photos of I took of 'em.

Attachments

Registered
Your WIndham's look similar to the US Military Model 603/XM16E1 ? With a 1:7 twist are you shooting the heavier ( 70-80gn )bullets?

Retired
Hey Duce, as I mentioned in our text messages, with the triangular hand guards and A1 type carry handle and sights, the average guy wouldn't know the difference. Close enough for me...
The slightly heavier front end of the barrel and slightly longer butt stock isn't really noticeable. One difference though is the brass deflector on your uppers. Nice feature if you are a lefty, and I do believe the Canadians had A1 uppers just like yours with the brass deflector, but I could be wrong, but then that would be a first... LOL
I built up 3 A1 clones and used an A2 upper for one of them due to the much more user-friendly rear sight.
All 3 have the A1 type barrels with pencil diameter chrome lined with 1/12 twist. I still have 2 more of these barrels to build into A1 clones but I am having a hard time finding the A1 upper receivers.
And I deny being obsessed...

Reactions: Duce

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^-- Were the original hand guards made of fiberglass? The ones on mine are a hard plastic and I'm concerned they might break in places if contacted hard enough.

Registered
Yes original M16 handguards were fiberglass but changed to plastic for durability. Your plastic much more impact resistant than fiberglass ( which will break ).

Registered
Interesting鈥he uppers look like C7 Colt鈥檚 made for Canadian Army with A1 sights and an A2 profile 1/7 barrel. Ohh and the brass deflector too. I used to deal with the old Bushmaster all the time back in the 1990鈥檚 before it changed around 2012 to Windham after they sold out. These look typical old Bushmaster made from surplus Colt & FN parts.

The good Ol鈥 days鈥.

Plant Plant community Air gun Machine gun Trigger

Colt C7 upper, everything else is FN to include the lower & furniture. It also has a 1/12 FN pencil barrel that was NIW surplus as were the handguards when I got them 30 years ago from BM...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts