M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew a feller once that used to use store shelf windex to swab out the bore with ...

Anyone else ever hear of or use this and if so is it detrimental in any way ... ?

Is there any other household cleaning fluids that may be used ... ???

Pros ... ?

Cons ... ?

TIA

Six

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I think I've read that people sometimes use windex to clean the bore after firing corrosive ammo.

·
Banned
354 Posts
If ya' shoot corrosive ammo such as the surpluss stuff that is sold for 8mm Mausers, make a mixture of water and amonia. The ratio is 1/3 amonia and 2/3 water. Swab the bore and then swab it dry. I'v read that It kills the salt that is produced when the charge is fired.

I have a two 8mm Mausers and I can verify that it does work. I got the info on the net but I can't remember where right off. Look around a bit on Mauser sights and you'll find it. I don't know if this applys in any way to rifles shooting the non-corosive types of powder.....Blast Away :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
I prep my K98 barrel after I shoot corrosive ammo with Windex, I dont clean it with it. I put a kettle of water on the stove and get it almost boiling, then mix some dawn or other dish soap and put the muzzle in the water, from there I run the cleaning rod thru the barrel as normal. Afterwards I check it every few hours so see if theres any rust comming up and the next day I check it, no rust yet......

RRVI

·
Registered
125 Posts
Windex is supposed to work great, read that somewhere, although I have not tried it yet myself. the one time I fired my 8mm mauser I flushed it with hot water, no rust yet. I will try the windex next time. thanks all this is great info. might just have to start shooting my mauser more often now.
rooster

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have used Zippo lighter fluid at the range. Just run saturated patches thru the bore . It cuts the powder residue and fowling, and evaporates quickly and completely. Works great on black powder and pyrodex as well.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
FWIW,

I have seen folks use the ammonia mixture right after leaving the firing line, they said it worked better that sooner you use it. THis was on a center fire line or a blackpowder line. HTH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.