M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,010 Posts
You seem to be trolling here! Ok, i will start it for you.

H&R is better. Next entry please!

However any gi assembly is better than a trashfield.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
never trolled in my whole life! I just know someone who wants to sell me a win. T.g. And i'm looking to see if i should buy it or hold out for another.
i was trying to be funny, you should have read it that way.

Wini is fine if price is right.

As i said better than trashfield.

Others here will say trw,h&r, sa, sai, poly, ect.

They are all good. My lineup is SA, H&R,TRW, WIN.

It will never end.

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Depends on the group itself. Wear and tear that sort of thing. Winchester groups are marked either -66118-, 66118, or OM-N. I believe I am correct the HR-N which H&R and the OM-N were actually made by the same contractor FWIW. The OM-N marked groups seem to be a little rarer. I have trigger groups from all USGI manufacturers and they all are really on par with one another. My personal two best examples are my HR-N and OM-N marked groups again FWIW. Even better than the vaunted overprices TRW. If it's a good price I say go for it. If not I have a spare HR-N group in the PX if interested.

· Registered
2,045 Posts
I have Winny OM, TRW, and a couple that are mixed and matched usgi, and a SAI. Only one group (the mixed group) was good to go without a trigger job. Having your trigger group done up by a pro is usually the way to go for any of them. I just got lucky on the mixed one. The SAI that came on my loaded was done at the factory and pulls very smooth and crisp. I just didn't like the wear patterns that started showing up on it. It's my hubble opinion that a USGI trigger group worked over by someone like Hueygunner and/or SEI would be hard to beat.

· Registered
2,085 Posts
In general the Winchester/66118 parts don't have the best machine work compaired to the other USGI manufactures. They just seem to have a lower grade machined finish IMO. You have to judge the part on its own and not by manufacture when buying surplus parts.

· Registered
2,045 Posts
In general the Winchester/66118 parts don't have the best machine work compaired to the other USGI manufactures. They just seem to have a lower grade machined finish IMO. You have to judge the part on its own and not by manufacture when buying surplus parts.
I have to agree in general. I have handled several Win TG's and none of them were good to go prior to a TG job including the one I own. However, a couple of the SA's and a TRW I checked out were pretty close to perfect. When I assembled my mutt TG I used an SA hammer, TRW small parts, and a Winny housing, it is smooth as butter and all parts were stock.

· Registered
2,085 Posts
I like H&R and TRW parts the best because of there high grade to fit and finish. I don't like Winchester for the above reason given and I also don't care for real SA parts because they are sometimes confused with lesser SAI parts by the uneducated buyer.

· Registered
2,796 Posts
My OM-N win trigger group is excellent and doesn't have the rough machine work that my 66118 win trigger group has. Again I believe it was made by the same subcontractor that made the H&R groups. So if it's marked OM-N it's quality in my opinion. If I was home I'd post comparison pics.

· Registered
5,756 Posts
NOS to NOS there won't be any material difference from one mfr to the next. It's a rare day to get a M14 trigger group that's virgin NOS. They got rebuilt, parts got swapped out. I remember trigger groups was one of the very few M14 parts the DCM sold back in the late '80's when they sold a boatload of M1 Garand parts out of Red River Army Depot. We got a few. Each one came in a plastic bag. Sure enough, they had a mix of hammers and safeties, not a nickel's worth of difference from the trigger groups SAI used to install in new M1A's. I don't know how you can look at a trigger-sear, plunger housing, or springs and pins and tell who made them. You just try to get USGI parts from an honest source. At the end of the day a trigger group's value is all in how smoothly it works when assembled and installed in your rifle. I've never run into one that didn't benefit from a little careful tuning.

· Registered
2,045 Posts
At the end of the day a trigger group's value is all in how smoothly it works when assembled and installed in your rifle. I've never run into one that didn't benefit from a little careful tuning.
Well said! Tuning is the real key here when your talking USGI TG's. I do not like the quality of the newer SAI TG's as there hardness appears to be a little soft. Too much wear too fast.

I will say that the pull on their NM tuned stuff is perfect. I took mine and replaced the hammer with a TRW and it turned out to be a really nice TG.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.