M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's "Old School" but do any of you still shoot or hunt with one? I have no real reason for asking, but on those cold winter mornings out in the woods hunting deer, I just wonder how many Model 54's are out doing the same thing.
My is in .270 with a Weaver K4 that is almost as old as the rifle itself. Mine was produced in 1923. It remain very accurate for it's age and still holds 1 inch with the right loads. I've lost track of how many deer I've taken with it over the years.
I've thought about going with a newer rifle, but I just hate to put the old girl out to pasture!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Just because something is newer doesn't mean it's better. Sounds like you have a dependable friend, I'd keep her by my side..

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Russlle40, Mine is a 30-06 carbine with a Lyman peep, truly a beautiful little carbine, my father law has another rifle in 270 with the same scope set up as yours. They are sweet rifles and very high quality. Both still make it into the woods from time to time.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My father in law passed off his fathers mod.54 to me before he passed. It's a 30-06 with a 7/8 scope ( post). I took it out a few days but never liked a bolt gun much. Off the bench it will hold under a inch and a half with most loads and the action is smooth as melted butter. If and when I ever worm up to bolt actions I now it's there and won't have any problem using it. Dan

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it works, stick with it.

Where do you hunt with it, around Waxahachie or somewhere else?
I hunt out west of San Angelo near the town of Rankin. We have both WT and Mullies there. Most shots are 200 yards or more and thats why I love the .270.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I was young I had a 54 in .220 Swift. I traded it for a Dodge with a Hemi. Gave the car to my dad when I entered the service - he blew up the motor! Want my Swift back!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts