M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok now that the Lever action bug has bitten my Tuckus hard and to round out my Lever Gun Collection I am looking to get a 45-70

Winchester miroku or Marlin with a 26" barrel are my only 2 choices . Why a 26" barrel I have no idea why but thats what I decided on unless someone can give me reasons to consider a shorter barrel . Either will be used . So which one would be the better of the 2 ?

As always opinions are Expected and Welcome

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If the Winchester Mirokus are like the Brownings, then the quality will be stellar. Personally, I would stay away from the Remington-Marlins. Far away. Find a pre-Freedom Group Marlin if you must.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Marlin CB all day. I think more and more winchesters are made in Japan.
1873 357 Uberti over here. My pops has the same gun in 45 colt.
Sorry, I love lever guns so much I just have to mention them every time I can.

Deuces

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I love my JM Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun; I almost got the CB, but the primary purpose for buying it at the time was for a knock around bear protection gun when we lived in north Idaho. Now that we are in Kentucky, it has made a great still hunting gun fitted with a Blue Force Gear Combat Applications AR sling and a Leupold scout scope. It hits the whitetails hard. Before buying it I looked very hard at the Winchesters and must say they tend to be beautiful rifles and I almost forked out the coin for one. The only reason I did not buy one was because I would have had a hard time using as roughly as I imagined using the Guide Gun. I didn't get the CB because I thought the 26" barrel would not have been as handy in the woods. For sure, if you choose the Marlin, find one with the JM mark on the barrel.....stay far away from the ones made by Remington.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the Winchester Mirokus are like the Brownings, then the quality will be stellar. Personally, I would stay away from the Remington-Marlins. Far away. Find a pre-Freedom Group Marlin if you must.
If it is not pre Remlin it will not happen

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The CB is gonna tap your shoulder pretty hard - even with the 405 grain bullets. I have both, and my Moroku Browning, even as a carbine, is much more comfortable to shoot.....

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
if its a pre remingturd rifle, then i could flip a coin either way. if its current production, i'd take the jap made rifle any day of the week without thinking twice.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have a Browning 86 SRC and have had it a long time using some hunting loads at times I probably shouldn't have, it's as smooth as the day I got it and wouldn't have any problem saying buy one,you won't be disappointed. As far as the new Winchesters , I just can't get past the tang safety. My brother is doing the same thing you are right now ,Ohio changed its laws on rifle hunting and I think he is going for a pre remmy CB but going to cut the bbl. and mag to 22" and doing something with that plastic butt plate. That should be a sweet handling rifle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a Winchester 1885 with the 28" octagonal barrel. Yes, it is made by Miroku.

I have been waiting for Marlin to resume production of the 1895 Cowboy. Davidson's used to carry them but none have been available for years. Every time Davidson's would get some in stock, they would just disappear. I called Marlin in 2012 to find out the status. The representative said they would resume manufacture in 2013. Well, I'm still waiting. I really don't understand. There is a market for the Cowboy and they are not responding.

By the way, I also have an H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic.

Buy any one of them and I think you'll be happy, after all, they are 45-70s.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
You got to love 'em

Ok now that the Lever action bug has bitten my Tuckus hard and to round out my Lever Gun Collection I am looking to get a 45-70

Winchester miroku or Marlin with a 26" barrel are my only 2 choices . Why a 26" barrel I have no idea why but thats what I decided on unless someone can give me reasons to consider a shorter barrel . Either will be used . So which one would be the better of the 2 ?

As always opinions are Expected and Welcome
------------
A construction hand injured himself and was out of work for years.......... He finally got back onto a job and when the first paycheck hit his pocket ......... He's gun shopping........... LOL

You got to Love those guys.

Hobo

·
Premium Member
4,814 Posts
I have a Marlin 1885 I got back about 1979 or 1980....... A great gun. It is accurate enough with cast bullets and jacketed as well. I have shot through a few deer length ways with it. I have peep sights on it and use it in the woods. I would dearly love to have a real Winchester 1886 in either 45 70 or 45-90............ But I can't afford it and the Marlin is nice. The new 1886 from Winchester ( made in Jap) are good guns but I hate the tang safety.

The Marlin is very strong and I can assure you when you start reloading for it, you will run out of shoulder before you run out of gun.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
------------
A construction hand injured himself and was out of work for years.......... He finally got back onto a job and when the first paycheck hit his pocket ......... He's gun shopping........... LOL

You got to Love those guys.

Hobo
Hobo
You , I , We all know it is an absolute sickness . I have had to sell so much stuff including my beater work van to make ends meet it is not funny . Some of that $$$ has become disposable and CCW classes has picked up again . This purchase is not for me it is needed for the business DI5DI5DI5

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Have you shouldered a 26" long rifle with an octagonal barrel? I'm asking because my Uberti 1873 feels a bit muzzle heavy despite only a 20" barrel. (It is .357 Mag so more metal and less tube.). My Marlin 1895 LTD from 1999 has a 24" half-round barrel and the balance is perfect for me.

Doesn't the Winchester 1895 have some extra hammer/firing pin safety on it? Not saying that's bad but it is different. Unlike many die hards, I don't mind the cross-bolt safety on the Marlin.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Business write off...........

Hobo
You , I , We all know it is an absolute sickness . I have had to sell so much stuff including my beater work van to make ends meet it is not funny . Some of that $$$ has become disposable and CCW classes has picked up again . This purchase is not for me it is needed for the business DI5DI5DI5
-----------------------
And when you can write off those things as a "business expense......... It's like getting it for free. Go for it.

Hobo

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you shouldered a 26" long rifle with an octagonal barrel? I'm asking because my Uberti 1873 feels a bit muzzle heavy despite only a 20" barrel. (It is .357 Mag so more metal and less tube.). My Marlin 1895 LTD from 1999 has a 24" half-round barrel and the balance is perfect for me.

Doesn't the Winchester 1895 have some extra hammer/firing pin safety on it? Not saying that's bad but it is different. Unlike many die hards, I don't mind the cross-bolt safety on the Marlin.
Excellent advice which I will Heed . Cry once/buy once is my Motto

1 - 20 of 29 Posts