M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my second Garand from the CMP in the mail today and had a few questions.....when the bolt is open it has the tendancy to rattle around in the receiver, does anyone know why? Also, what is the best way to get the cosmoline off? Lastly, I'm having a hard time getting the trigger group out, any tricks to this?......I didn't have any of these problems w/ my first SA Garand. Thanks for the replies, happy holidays!

m1fan

·
Registered
57 Posts
A heat gun or boiling water for the cosmo. If you go the boiling water route, it will evaporate fast, dry and oil it up real good. Is it a milled trigger guard or a stamped one? If milled, put a tool through hole at rear of trg guard and pull, you may have to pull hard. If stamped, put a tool in rear of Trg guard and pull. I have a 43 SA that has a real tight lockup and I have to excert some force to remove the trigger group. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Merry Christmas and Congratulations on your Winchester M1! I hope it's a nice one. The rattle you hear is probably just the bolt's lug tapping in the op rod's recess when it's cocked. Normal as long as the bolt closes when you depress the follower and locks fully into the breech. When you get the rifle cleaned up and some good grease in the recesses and bolt raceway you won't even notice the rattle.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Just got my second Garand from the CMP in the mail today and had a few questions.....when the bolt is open it has the tendancy to rattle around in the receiver, does anyone know why? Agreed, probably normal. You'll know more when you shoot it!

Also, what is the best way to get the cosmoline off?
Lot's different ways to do this. I prefer Odorless Mineral Spirits over hot water, but both work. If you use the water method be sure to flush all the nooks and crannies with WD40 (water displacing formula 40) and then lube it up well.

Lastly, I'm having a hard time getting the trigger group out, any tricks to this?......I didn't have any of these problems w/ my first SA Garand. Is your stock a USGI unit or one of the CMP commercial birchers? I got a complete birch commercial replacement on my Winchester. On an earlier H&R I got a commercial main stock and they did a really poor job of fitting it and when I removed it for cleaning the metal it actually took a big chunk of the stock out on each side of the stock. The CMP replaced the stock with a correct USGI stock. If your's is USGI try laying it sights down and giving the guard a stiff jerk, that usually works!! If not you may be able to run a screw driver shaft between it and the trigger and with the rifle muzzle down on a piece of wood pull up sharply.

Thanks for the replies, happy holidays! m1fan
Merry Christmas!!!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
A strip of sling leather or even a piece of rope slipped between the rear of the trigger guard and the trigger and pulled firmly back-upwards will disengage the tightest trigger group. **** it and put the safety on first. +1 what Mercman said, lay the rifle upside down on a bench or table and hold it down with one hand, pull with the other til it's straight up and down, then lift out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More ???

Thanks for the advice...I got the trigger group out and cleaned and greased the rifle, but the bolt still seems to be loose. When the bolt is all the way foward and the hammer is down, I can push on the bolt and make the tail end move a little....is this normal? Do I need to worry about the safety of the weapon? Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

My only thought is that the bolt might be worn?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Bolt surely has seen service but that doesn't mean it's bad. It'll bounce/flex a little because it's sitting on the follower. It's not coming out of the lug recesses up at the breech, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts