M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

When I pulled back my op rod on my SA m1a standard and examined the markings on my barrel, I noticed that it was marked as a Winchester barrel. I have Scott Duff's book and it mentions that Winchester at one time did usgi contracts. Is it safe to assume that my barrel and receiver are usgi? Sorry if this is a fng question...thanks for your help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Barrel yes...Receiver no. Very few USGI demilled semi-auto receivers are legally out in the public domain, probably less than 500, (I'm guessing), and if you had one, you'd probablly be wanting a BATFE letter stating it's legal to own. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Cigsour:

There should be a manf. imprint (stamping) on the heel or side of your receiver. That should tell you who made the receiver.

Having a Winchester barrel is cool. If you're endeavorous you may want to scrutinize all of the other parts and see 1.) what you got, 2.) consider maybe making all of the main parts "Winny" as well.

It is not necessary to make the parts match at all, but many have not only made all of the parts (as much as possible) USGI and matching...

Have fun whichever way you go...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...the barrel markings are as follows:

'Winchester Trademark 7790190 JAN - 61 9R'

the bolt is marked as follows:
'7790186 - SA
F00090'

and finally, the receiver is marked:

'US Rifle M1A
Springfield Armory t
161XXX

Thanks again for any additional info you may have!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi Cigsour:

I don't know if this will help, but it appears that you have USGI Winchester barrel. It is probably chrome lined.

The receiver and the bolt are Springfield Armory commercial parts. The F in the second line of your bolt ID, IIRC, indicates that it was one of their forged bolts.

All in all, looks like you have the workings of a nice rifle there! Congrats!

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.