M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a chance to buy an older Winchester 101 double barrel, 12 gauge, at a very good price ($800). It was owned by a hunter and not a skeet/trap shooter and is in pretty good shape, probably quite rarely fired considering the age (at least 30- 40 yrs old). This is one of the vintage that were made in Japan and it has fixed chokes, modified and full, which are a little tight to be useful for my needs- something like IC and Modified are better for me. I haven't had a chance and may not have the time, to do much research on this gun before it's gone, most importantly meaning I can't figure out if the barrels are chrome lined and if so whether or not my gunsmith feels he can open the chokes up for me, and for how much (the rat's in Florida just when I need him, how typically Canadian). If anyone has had this done, or has any random knowledge of the Win 101, feedback is wanted!

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Briley's in Houston, TX would be my first choice for forcing cones and interchangeable chokes. Figure $400 to $500.
I'd be happy with fixed chokes, just want them to be more open than mod/full. They can be ground out, except possibly with chrome lined barrels. I'm busy convincing myself that the gun is too old to have those- pre steel shot and all.

·
Resident Rascal
13,503 Posts
Sweets, I don't think this is what your looking for, just email me the seller's contact info! GI2

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Very nice shotgun - I would recommend you pattern the shotgun with a variety of shells as you may be surprised at the patterns you get. The patterns with Kent shells I found are useful for upland hunting as well as occasional trap/skeet. No steel shot recommended.

·
Registered
506 Posts
GREAT FIND! I have done this with several shotguns and unless you are shooting a lot of clays where you need to change

choke tubes, I prefer to just open them up to a good general choke of IC/mod or my favorite light mod/Improved mod. This

should run about $60 per barrel. My hunting buddy has the same 101 and his barrels are NOT chrome lined, easy project for

any competent gunsmith. I kind of get tired chasing a bunch of choke tubes around or showing up at the range with the wrong

ones with me. Fix the chokes and just shoot and have fun.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweets, I don't think this is what your looking for, just email me the seller's contact info! GI2
I will pass it on if I don't buy it. A purchase into the USA from Canada won't be easy, but easier than the near impossibility of going the other way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts