M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Win.Bolt and a few other parts from a friend at work,he bought them from winchester when he did a job there.I noticted that the bolt is in the"white" but it does not have the dimple marking on the front.Would this be safe to use,and is the dimple a mark for hardness or proof firing.Thanks.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Did you pull the roller off and strip it? In the white, as in no finish, bare metal? Why do you think it would be unsafe? I would be inclined to see how it fits and headspaces in whatever you're thinking about using it in and if it fits nice, has good lug contact and headspaces good, put a finish on her and give it a shot. Pun intended. If it is bare metal it should be easier to see imperfections. You still get all the best deals at that job. Nobody ever brings me anything to my job, but problems and headaches.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The lack of the dimple means it did not undergo a brinell ball. Take a file and see if you can cut into the bolt. Other option, take one of known hardness and hang on coat hanger through the extractor pivot hole and tap with hammer, listen to the "ring". Repeat with this bolt. Should be the same sound or real close to it. Cracked or soft bolt will "clunk or thud". If not sure do not use! A soft bolt will shear off the lugs if fired. Using a hpt with a soft bolt will take off the heel of the reciever.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Memphis the guts that are in the pics are extra that I had laying around,I was just seeing if they would assemble in the bolt.The bolt came as you see it with no finish,it appears to be new to me,I was just wondering if with out the dimple if it would be allright to use,I have know idea as to why it was not finished.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.