M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the apparent success of the Rock-Ola forged receiver's entry into the market place, do you think that LRB will price their stripped Receivers to compete with JRA.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Don't know, good question, they (LRB) have built a solid reputation and do excellent work, they offer one of the best RX's available and that is probably worth something more then some others.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Frankly I seriously doubt it since LRB is the gold standard that all the rest of the M14 clones are compared to. So why should they? Since LRB is going after the portion of the market that requires more than the cast is good enough crowd is willing to shell out.

7th

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Only time will tell, but if you check out JRA web site you will note that "there are no reviews as of yet..." regarding their product. Until they get market recognition it will be an uphill struggle as it is for LRB and others compared to SAI. I have the LRB and have had SAI, but whether you like or dislike the SAI, they have the market recognition and probably capture majority of sales even with their continuous quality issues. As for pricing I don't see a significant difference in price that would drive me to go with JRA vs LRB which is generally accepted as the "gold standard" for forged receivers. Did not calculate, but is their a 10% difference?? Now, 20% would probably get my attention.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Too early to tell. If they ever get to a point where they have them sitting on the shelves the. We might see a sale or two but the still have the market on the m25 variant.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I can't imagine that they would considering they have had a 10 month wait for at least the last 5 years. Any competitor will have to be around for a while before LRB would feel heat in the sales area.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What is more likely to happen is that eventually JRA's prices will increase to narrow the gap with LRB's pricing.

·
Premium Member
15,246 Posts
They are two completely different products. I have built on both and the LRB is considerably more of a finished product. I must admit , that for the price, JRA is in a good position as a contender. In fact, I am expecting delivery of a couple of consecutive ser# JRAs on Monday or Tuesday to build up and add to my collection. LRB remains the Cadilac of receivers in my book. Nothing is carved in stone, but they will probably go down in history as the best of the best with JRA bringing up a close second.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I believe they will have to become competitive at some point in the near future as rockola builds momentum and fine tunes their product which is already a good one. I wouldnt say LRB is the gold standard as they have their issues like any maker. ive built 2 lrb's and 1 rockola and the rockola actually was easier to headspace requiring much less lapping. the advantage LRB has is their finish machining which is beautiful but i dont know if its 400$ more beautiful than rockola. dont get me wrong i like my lrbs but this last build will be the last time i pay over 1,000 for a receiver ever again and will be buying a rockola for my next build down the road

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Fair question, but I think it's too early to tell. My assumption, and you know what they say about assumptions, is that JRA alone would take a long time to significantly impact LRB's sales. However, on the horizon are TWO MORE manufacturer's that are getting ready to release hammer forged receivers. Now, if they are as successful as JRA was upon initial release then we may see a real competitive market develope right before our eyes.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Don't forget, pricing is not just about keeping up with your closest competitor. Cost to produce and overhead contribute greatly to price. If I were to guess I would say LRB's cost to produce is higher than JRA's Black Friday sale price.
They'll meet in the middle, with LRB being about 10-12% higher.
Good for all of us.
Actually, when you take out Black Friday and the Group buy, LRB and JRA are only $200 apart.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
"...dont get me wrong i like my lrbs but this last build will be the last time i pay over 1,000 for a receiver ever again and will be buying a rockola for my next build down the road"
In some respects the gap between the two price points isn't quite that wide--that is if you consider having LRB build the "lump" into a barreled action.

I understand there is a crowd that likes to "roll" there own rifles, but would say the percentage is even smaller than those who choose customs LRB/FULTON/JRA builds over SAI production rifles.

So in that regard JRA is actually more expensive. The real factor is who do you trust in building your rifle.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I've wasted lots of time, energy and effort buying items that were a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10. I've bought the middle of the pack and attempted to upgrade it to a top shelf item. A weapon is not a stereo, a bar-b-que pit or a vehicle.

IMHO my weapon is similar to my Doctor. When it comes to my health / safety I'm certainly not going to experiment with a less expensive alternative.

I don't see anything but LRB equipment in my future.

Hobo

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
So you guys think there is pricing pressure? In our niche market?

I don't see y'all unloading stuff. Last time I checked anything quality (or an op rod track-sorry, just had to put that in there) was not really under a lot of price pressure.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The market is so small, the future lies in parts...more than receivers. JRA will suck in those at the midrange of Fulton or LRB. All really depends what LRBs overhead is....based on S/N observations there is no volume seller like SAI.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The larger issue (in the "competition") is that LRB's forge is not going to step up production - so what they get - is what they get.

Versus Bula seems to be cranking them out (as well as bolts, and soon to be OP RODS).

JRA did pretty damn good for a first generation go - considering they are using the same molds and forge as 762MM (who hasn't seemed to be able to ship a "plug-n-play-buidable lump YET!).

I'd look for Mark to step up the game further, in refinements to fit & finish - and may well be comparable to LRB in the very near future. Keep in mind that JRA WAS BUILDING their M14 complete rifles ON LRB'S (with their inability to fulfill demand, as an important driving force in just producing THEIR OWN LUMPS).

Also keep in mind - WE HERE ARE A VERY SECONDARY MARKET. The PRIMARY MARKET for all these guys - ARE COMPLETE RIFLES. THEY will always take a priority in who gets a lump FIRST. Regardless of the profit on a bare lump - the $$ is in FULL BUILDS.

So I personally - appreciate all of them (except maybe a certain Arizona manufacturer) taking care of the "roll your own" crew - as we are NOT THEIR PRIMARY CASH FLOW SOURCE.

That being said - I see Lou perhaps running a little wary right now, with Mark snipping at his ankles. OTOH - I don't see him sitting with lumps and no buyers either.

Rick

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was wondering when someone would bring this up, considering all the new forged options that are coming to be, not just JRA.

7.62 could still pull the rabbit out of the hat, and as other have said, there's two more on the hoizon.

LRB could still stay on top, but it's going to be a lot more difficult.

I consider myself a classic case. I sold my SAI, cause I want to "build my own", and I want a forged rx. With 7.62 still screwing things up, it left only LRB.

JRA comes along, and with a much more competitive price. This is undeniable. Then they come out with their own forged bolt... no brainer for me. I have no product loyalty (to LRB). Order a new rx, bolt, and barrel (not on Black Friday) and they say they'll barrel the rx for free. Another no brainer. So now I have a JRA barreled action for $20 more than a BARE RX from LRB.

How can they (LRB) not see that writing on the wall?

Finsihed rifles? JRA's are $2200 for a basic M14 compared to LRB's $2600. JRA states all USGI, LRB you get a USGI stock and USGI Flash supressor, the rest commercial.

Once these other forged makers fine tune their finished machining levels to that of LRB, LRB will only have their name. Sorta like Harley Davidson...

Riding a Harley is like drinking Budweiser. About as American as you can get, but tastes like dog$#^+ The Harley is finely polished on the outside, but still designed and built like it was in the 1950's. All you're paying for is the chrome on the outside!

Please don't take my post as bashing LRB. I want one like everyone else. I just think now they'll be forced to compete now that there seems to be some legitimate players in the M14 business.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Once these other forged makers fine tune their finished machining levels to that of LRB, LRB will only have their name. Sorta like Harley Davidson...

Riding a Harley is like drinking Budweiser. About as American as you can get, but tastes like dog$#^+ The Harley is finely polished on the outside, but still designed and built like it was in the 1950's. All you're paying for is the chrome on the outside!

Please don't take my post as bashing LRB. I want one like everyone else. I just think now they'll be forced to compete now that there seems to be some legitimate players in the M14 business.
I take your post as BASHING HARLEY DAVIDSON…

And my response…

LOL…

Actually - having owned all of the HD models - I would likely never buy another air-head - and would only replace my V-Rod with another one, if this one got stolen or wrecked.

But there are similarities, between the people that buy a Harley, let the shop do all the work - and people that buy them and do it themselves. You can BUY a "cookie cutter bike" - or you can MAKE YOURS - YOURS.

Likewise with those that buy an M14/M1A and maybe put a mount and optic on it - and those that start with a build sheet and a pile of parts - and end up with a rifle that is uniquely theirs.

While JRA's "stated intent" (from a conversation with them) is to "give SAI a run for their $$" - I doubt they can keep up with SAI's production. They WILL (and ARE) selling boxed rifles into distribution and retail - versus LRB/Fulton doing direct sales only.

I think it's pretty cool myself - it gives US MORE OPTIONS, it makes a great weapon system more popular, and it forces the less product-availability/customer-service oriented to step their game, or be even more of an "outsider".

People will still want an LRB, hell - people still want SEI's - but folks like the people that hang out here, and build for the love of the platform/art-form - now how another very viable choice - from a manufacturer that RESPECT THE BUILDER COMMUNITY (instead of treating us like THEY'RE DOING US A FAVOR).

Rick

1 - 20 of 26 Posts