M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to do some target practice this morning and my rifle had a malfunction for the first time in 15,000 rounds through it. I fired 6 shots that I had left over in my hunting ammo magazine, reloaded with the old standard target reload of M-118 bullets and LC brass. It fired one then on the second one it didn't cycle. I ejected the empty manualy and tried again and it kept doing that for 6 more rounds. I took the rifle out of the stock and looked it over then took out the piston and wiped it off with a rag and put it back in. after that it worked flawlessly for 50 more rounds. I just did a good cleaning 2 weeks ago including the piston. it only had 40 rounds through it before this happened. I cleaned the bore last night with sweets 7.62. as always I closed off the gas valve first then when I was done I opened it back up and with the op rod back ran a pipe cleaner up through the hole to make sure there was no solvent in there. This rifle has never failed to work perfectly before and I am realy curious to know what happened. I am a gunsmith and have been shooting 14's for 20 years or so. This one for about 10 years. anyone have any Ideas? My rifle is a norinco receiver with a douglass heavy weight match barrel and GI everything in perfect condition. It was below 30 degrees this morning when this happened but I have shot it in 30 below weather without problems before. The wind was also howling about 40-50 MPH and actualy whistling through the flash hider. My son got a kick out of that.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Sounds as though the gas cylinder may be clogged a bit. Brownells sells a drill bit tool that will get the collected carbon and **** that's caked up in there if ya don't have one. Give that a try and see if cycling improves.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a tool I made with the right size reamers to clean out the piston and plug. I did try that though when I got home even though it had been done recently. It was clean. I am thinking what happened now was some of that sweets got on the piston and with the wind and cold like it was it froze solid. It is just a theory but I can't come up with anything else. I have seen ice strong enough to break steel before but I still don't know about this. I also can't figure why it fired fine for a few rounds then messed up even after I made sure the gas port was clear and the piston was free. I have some seriously reduced and almost full power loads with a 168 grain lead bullet using the same powder also and they have never failed to cycle the action. I had thaught maybe the temp affected the powder burn rate and it couldn't build enough port pressure. That theory realy doesn't hold up either because I have used that exact same load hunting in a 30 below snow storm before and it was fine.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Not sure if this is the problem either but I remember a thread one time across the street where a fella was shooting in some pretty cold temps and had the same thing happen to his S/A M1A. Come to find out he had his weapon "lubed" improperly for cold temps. Can't remember whether it was the fact that he was using too much or the wrong brand of lube or a combination of both but that was his problem.

Six

1 - 4 of 4 Posts